REAL TRIBAL STATUE?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by journeymagazine, Nov 9, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Anyone know what tribe/country this is from?
    Is it real or a tourist piece? (I'm thinking real because it has a vagina which I don't think they would make for tourists, but I've never seen one with a hole/planter(?) in the head!
    Finally, any suggestions on how to get the sharpie price off bottom? (I tried a magic eraser but that didn't work so I made the $19 into $49 so I could ask more with a obo (or best offer) price.
    I appreciate any info on it.
    AA ART STATUE AFRICAN VASE HEAD 1AA.jpg AA ART STATUE AFRICAN VASE HEAD 2AA.jpg AA ART STATUE AFRICAN VASE HEAD 3AA.jpg AA ART STATUE AFRICAN VASE HEAD 4AA.jpg AA ART STATUE AFRICAN VASE HEAD 5AA.jpg AA ART STATUE AFRICAN VASE HEAD 6AA.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with 2many. Either a modern take on pre-Columbian, or a 'genuine' replica.
    The presence of a vagina would only be a problem for a few prudish tourists, most wouldn't make an issue of it. Some might even buy it because of that.:rolleyes:

4. journeymagazine

That's what made me buy it! I thought because of it that MAYBE this was real tribal! (I've seen many tourist pieces but none that were anatomically correct.

judy likes this.
  5. 2manybooks

Ah, see - it worked! :)

Jeff Drum, Jivvy, i need help and 3 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Let this be a lesson to all replica and souvenir makers around the world, always include private parts in a not so private way.:D

judy, AuDragon and i need help like this.
  7. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi JM,
    I haven't tried any of these personally, but suggestions to remove Sharpie permanent ink include: alcohol (I assume isopropyl); toothpaste rubbed gently over the mark; WD-40; sunscreen (no indication of which SPF factor works best :)); acetone (nail polish); or a paste of powder laundry stain remover (here we call in Vanish or Sard Oxy) rubbed by finger over the mark.
    And if that doesn't work, you will still have had a nice nip of something to keep relaxed, clean teeth, no squeaks, no sunburn, smart nails and a very clean blouse! :p

8. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

Your brilliant and resourceful advice. I love it. I also think that marking items in anyway with Sharpies [we call them textas here] should be made illegal. If you can get the marks off, it is often heart in mouth as to whether it takes any of the original surface/patina off as well.

judy and i need help like this.
  9. journeymagazine

Tried the nail polish remover - usually works but I guess the pottery soaked it in some

10. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

Another thought. I know for porcelain one can soak a piece full of old ingrained dirt in a solution of water and bicarb soda?? or similar - will have to check that - for a while and then a gentle rub gets it out or a lot of it out. Perhaps you could try, not soaking your piece as it will also remove paint or whatever, but a poultice of this bicarb solution left on the mark and kept damp for a while to see whether it softens it or draws it out?

judy, i need help and AuDragon like this.
  11. 2manybooks

If it is a porous surface the ink probably penetrated when first applied. Using solvents may also drive it in. That said, I have found sharpie ink can be removed from some surfaces with a mixture of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and mineral spirits (white spirits). I have a dropper bottle of each and put a few drops on a Q-tip. Roll or rub it on the ink.

judy, Any Jewelry, AuDragon and 2 others like this.
  12. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

We need a prize for the most successful solution! ;)

13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Draft saved Draft deleted