Featured Real Turquoise Sugilite Prndant?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Roger67, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Roger67

Roger67 Well-Known Member

IMG_2005.JPG IMG_2006.JPG IMG_2008.JPG IMG_2014.JPG Hi everyone it's been long time, how life gets in the way of what you love to do. But anyway found this at yard sale yesterday and was wanting to know if this looks like real Turquoise and is that purple Sugilite? Does it look Native American? And one other question why is it hollow in the back. It is marked 925. TIA!!!

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome back Roger.
    The pendant is made in India, possibly Nepal. The stones in this type of jewellery are always real. They look like (Himalayan) turquoise and sugilite, but I can't tell for sure. Do you have more detailed pictures?

LauraB, Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  3. Roger67

Thanks any jewelry! I will get my daughter to take some more pictures for me maybe she can get them more clear. Why is it hollowed out in the back? Most Turquoise jewelry you see is a solid backing.

4. Any Jewelry

This style of jewellery always has an open back, probably to show that it is a solid stone, not just a sliver. A lot of this jewellery is made in the city of Jaipur, where they are very proud of their jewellery heritage and protect the integrity of the craft.

Houseful likes this.
  5. Roger67

Thank so much. I will get you some more pictures today so you can get a better look at it. Thanks

6. Roger67

IMG_2022.JPG IMG_2024.JPG IMG_2029.JPG Maybe these are a little better?

7. Any Jewelry

I think I'll wait and see what others have to say. All I can say right now is that they are real stones and look like turquoise and sugilite, both are found in India.

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It's a nice looking piece.
    Not terribly old. Not American Indian.
    Probably what Any Jewelry says.

Often found for sale in clothing stores, gift stores, New Age shops.
    I see it at wholesale gift shows and jewelry shows. It's not what I buy, so I can't help with wholesale pricing.

Houseful and judy like this.
  9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

That bezel is on a lot of Indian jewelry and it does look like real stones. As far as the open back, turquoise needs to "breathe". I used to get pieces made by a friend who was a Seminole. He traveled to Arizona every year to buy rocks to cut into pieces for his jewelry. He usually cut a small open design in the back of solid backing. If the back wasn't open as much as this, he'd put a piece of some kind of special paper between the turquoise and the silver that was supposed to keep moisture away from the stone and he told me not to wash my hands with my rings on. Maybe this was all hogwash, but that's what I was told.

LauraB and judy like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

There are a 100 million turquoise bracelets , rings and pendants with no opening whatsoever....
    I think he told you a Seminole tall tale....:happy:

11. Any Jewelry

Coral, bone, ivory, etc need to breathe, but that just means they are best not kept in things like plastic ziploc bags.

Draft saved Draft deleted