Really confused by age of piece

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Emalinedawn, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Emalinedawn

Emalinedawn Active Member

I recently bought a lot of high end costume pieces my 96 yr old neighbor collected, from her daughter when she passed. Gorgeous ruffled Schreiner brooches, earrings, early Haskell, all Victorian through 60's. Most is easily identifiable for me, but this is just throwing me. The beads, chain, metal work, all feel much older. But, the back of the piece minus the connection I've just never seen before. I'm assuming the metal is enameled, and no markings anywhere. Clasp is a flattened barrel type with hook inserted.

Attached Files:

Joshua Brown and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)
    Please go back and edit your photos to the full image option and always do this. :)
    Make them 480x640 and you'll have no trouble for up to 10 per post.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

You might add the closeup photos and extra info you posted on ebay,but it looks post 60's.

Joshua Brown and KingofThings like this.
  4. KingofThings

Hmmm.....
    ;)

Joshua Brown likes this.
  5. Emalinedawn

6. Emalinedawn

I came here for genuine honest help. I posted the EBay link. It wouldn't let me post my full photos and used a free app to resize. I'm not sure if your "Hmmm" intended to suggest anything else.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    cxgirl, KingofThings and Joshua Brown like this.
  7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Full size images.

IMG_3106.JPG

IMG_3108.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And some more from your ebay link:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Any Jewelry

They were right on the other forum, the rhinestones/paste stones aren't prong set. I think the mount was cast that way and the stones glued in. It looks like a take on millegriffe (thousand claws), though not as finely done as true millegriffe.
    How long is the chain, and what is the diameter of the pendant?
    As to the period, I don't know much about costume jewellery, but others on the forum do. Looks Deco style to me.
    Hope the pictures I posted for you will help.

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  10. Emalinedawn

Thank you!!! Yes, I know not prong set. Not sure if you saw my post after. I should have looked at it better. But the age of the piece is my confusion. I took it last night to my friend's shop, she sells a lot of jewelry, and she said before the 70's, that the beads are older, the metal work looks older, the connection looks older, but like me the shiny back was confusing to her too. She said there was steel jewelry popular in the deco period as well. So I left with what I came with, cluelessness lol. Oh she said the rhinestones do look like rock crystal because of the inclusions. The cut is definitely different. You can see the cuts well with a loop and all are different. Not like normal or paste rhinestones.

It's 19 inches end to end, 2 6/8 inch disc. It's heavy too.

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

King reacted to the previous poster, Hollyblue. You can tell what someone is replying to by the pale orange caption above the comment, as you can see in this reply.

I'm sure the others will be along soon and shed some light on it for you. You're never alone on this forum, except sometimes, if you post highly unusual things, like I often do.:rolleyes:

12. KingofThings

And you should expect to get it. :)
    I misread what was said so nothing is really meant by that. :)
    Watch your inbox for photo help. :)

13. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Just a guess,but I think its a 50s take on art deco. The center design is,lets face it,poorly cast,wouldnt one expect better quality if true deco?

14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'm seeing 1970s. I have a ton of this kind of costume jewelry. The chain is similar to that era.

Christmasjoy and Emalinedawn like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Yes, I thought the chain looked very un-Art Deco, but costume jewellery is not really my field. That is why I preferred to stay on the safe side with Deco style, meaning of a later period.

16. Emalinedawn

I always like to check. Last time I had a weird feeling about a piece and something seemed different, it ended up being Katharine Hepburn's MGM labeled dressing gown from Adam's Rib with Spencer Tracey. It now resides in a private collection and loaned out to museums. My $30 investment resulted in thousands and thousands of $$ profit. The first two dealers told me it wasn't special. Didn't notice the MGM tag, even when I told them I purchased from an early MGM seamstress estate. If I don't know now, I research. I almost sold that gown for $200, oh the horror! My biggest treasures have started out as seemingly innocuous things, but had that gut feeling. While obviously no gut feeling with this, I still like to know what it is lol.

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I came here for genuine honest help.

really......& so far, what have you been getting?

18. Emalinedawn

It was already explained to me Kingofthings was reacting to another post which I misunderstood.

KingofThings and Christmasjoy like this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Yep. That chain and the clasp both scream 70s six ways to Sunday. The Deco influence keeps coming around off and on.

20. Emalinedawn

It's def not something I would sell. But whether I donate it, gift it, keep it for my daughter to play in, always good to know first. I was a child in the 70's and strangely the one era I know the least about :)

KingofThings and Christmasjoy like this.
  21. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

You weren't paying attention to the jools of the era at the time. Me either; I can recognize general styles and approximate years on 70s stuff, but makers...pfft. Not so much. I know next to nothing about modern manufacturers, except for some big designers.

Draft saved Draft deleted