Featured Really weird Chinese? Cup. Does anyone have an idea of age? Origin?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tracylou, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Tracylou

Tracylou Member

IMG_6607.JPG IMG_6608.JPG I love this little cup - it's so unusual with the foot looking just like the stem of a vegetable. The mark is impressed but unfortunately half of it isn't legible. Does anyone have any ideas about age, origin, maker etc?

Thank you fellow.antiquers.

2. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

It is Japanese Satsuma, likely from Kyoto - Awata. Here is a cup I have marked Taizan with a similar decoration, but you mark seems not to be the same as on my piece. T3.jpg

3. Tracylou

Tracylou Member

Thanks for that Mat,

It's a really odd foot don't you think? Ive never seen anything like that before.

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  4. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

I think the cup is a (lotus?) blossom and the foot it's stalk, nice! I think I have seen that again, but it is certainly not common.

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It looks like some Banko ware to me.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  6. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

From what can be seen I think your mark could be an impressed Kinkozan mark, but I am not sure.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

komokwa likes this.
  8. Tracylou

Tracylou Member

Well thank you all for your fascinating responses. The cup seems really old to me any ideas on dates?

Draft saved Draft deleted