Really wish the thrift stores in my area were like this!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joe2007, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

http://abc13.com/shopping/10-cent-day-at-thrift-store-in-houston/1520238/

It would really help clear out stale inventory. Seemingly every time I go to a thrift store here in Southern Ohio it is the same overpriced junk that has been sitting around for months (maybe years) unsold.

The Goodwills and other chain thrift stores in the area seemingly don't have anything for less then 50 cents. I can't even imagine the crowds if stuff was priced at 10 cents.

Your thoughts?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Our local Hospice does 1/2 price the last 3 days of the month. For our small community it can sometimes be very crowded and difficult to shop.

Can't even imagine what a mess that must be to shop in.
    I think I would stay away.
    People probably shop the day before and stash things in areas that are not where the items should have been displayed.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

My local St. Vincent De Paul thrift has 50% off days all the time, and their prices are super low to begin with so Ive picked up some very nice stuff in there over the years. But Ive noticed over the past few years a serious decline in quality donations, I bet because people arent as religious anymore and there are less members to donate stuff. My other favorite thrift has percentages off certain colored tags,up to 75% ,but those days are like the first gate of hell ! Ruthless seniors and Mommies with their I-phones make it very hard to enjoy .

4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

We have a goodwill outlet here that sells the unsold junk by the pound

You DON'T want to go there

5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I was at a local thrift shop last week that I had not shopped in for about 3+months. They still have a large set of Johann Haviland's Blue Garland sitting on the shelf that was most likely there before I was in there the first time. They have it priced at $600.00. :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

I resisted the urge once again to go up to the check out desk & tell the clerk that if someone could spend $600.00 on a set of fine china, first it would not likely be that pattern & they most likely would not be shopping in a thrift shop. :p:p:p:p:p

I just bought my set of 6 tumblers that were marked $5.00 that I will probably sell for $25 to $30 & left.

Peggy

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Here most of the thrift shops don't have sales regularly. One has a sale 2X a year where you can fill a bag with clothing *with noted exemptions* for I think $10. I don't buy clothes there so it may be a good buy for others. They are supposed to send out a postcard to notify shoppers of this sale, but they seem to be slacking off doing that. Bric a brac is also on sale but the prices are so high to begin with, that 50% off is still too expensive.

Another thrift shop has a sale where they mark one room 1/2 off but their starting price is also so high, 1/2 off is not even a deal worth taking. Plus they never really announce when they are going to have a sale or make it a certain date of a month so you just have to be there when it happens.

The thrift stores I counted on in the past near here for goodies have really gone downhill. Most of it is brand new junk that no one wants and is heavily overpriced to boot. Thus it sits for months if not years collecting dust and clutters up the place till you can barely move. I have pretty much stopped going to my local thrift stores.

I only wish they had a ten cents sale to maybe move the junk out. But then again, when they restock it will probably be the same old dollar store stuff that I haven't any desire to buy.
    :-(

7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I am on Cape Cod and a thrift in Sandwich does "wacky Wednesday". When you go to pay you pick from a basket and get a discount from 10% to free. Last week I got 25% off, it worked for me :)

Draft saved Draft deleted