Featured recognize this scene? cottage/boat/seascape?

Discussion in 'Art' started by capitulation, Oct 7, 2019.

1. capitulation

capitulation Active Member

grabbing at straws here..picked up this piece for $2.70 from a local thrift store and I dont think its a print - I think its some kind of ink original (although really I have no idea!) b/c whatever medium it is it appears to be "spilling off the paper" (see area to the right of the cottage).

Just trying to get an idea of the age from the way it was framed and/or any idea about it. unfortunately its not signed on the front and I have no plans to take it out of the frame. It appears to be nicely framed and from a business that no longer exists..

dXHpQfZVTyaGTVBfmJU8zw_thumb_9eb8.jpg go3nCpFsRk2AZyY1eiJALA_thumb_9eba.jpg m8+tXMt8QW+J2Gdc9BDeyQ_thumb_9ec2.jpg sIR8D8XnQBmiqO+8VjkMkg_thumb_9ec3.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9ebd.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9ec0.jpg yhVbSFMIRnWwntIFO+rH4g_thumb_9ebb.jpg

2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Google reverse image search identifies it as CHARLES A. VANDERHOOF AMERICAN ETCHING "THE FISHERMAN'S HOME "

Edit: or, rather, Google identifies an eBay seller who has it listed as such

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    ACP, Debora, moreotherstuff and 13 others like this.
  3. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

4. capitulation

capitulation Active Member

oh jivvy I am so impressed how quickly you identified this, and I should have thought to use Google images to look it up, great idea. Im absolutely thrilled to learn who the artist was and the name of the painting. Ill have to learn more about the drypoint technique. I believe it to be quite an old print so everything makes sense. Thanks so much!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted