Featured Recollections of Lincoln

Discussion in 'Books' started by KosmoCramer, Sep 27, 2017.

1. KosmoCramer

KosmoCramer Active Member

I bought a book from my local libraries store. It is an original (1911) of Recollections of Lincoln by Dorothy Lamon Teillard. Does anyone happen to know anything about this book. All I can find online are current reprints. Thankyou!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I don't know a whole lot about it but I believe the "original" or first printing/publication of this was in 1895. Yours is the 1911 edition. Dorothy Lamon was the daughter of Ward Hill Lamon who was a friend(and bodyguard) of Lincoln's . I believe this book is a collection of WH Lamon's memories/stories about Lincoln.

See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward_Hill_Lamon

3. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

Your right. :)

4. KosmoCramer

Is there any rarity too it? I can’t even find a picture of it online. The only thing auction sites have as well are modern republications

KingofThings likes this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

BTW....somewhere I have your avatar as a full size door poster that I used to put up at Halloween! :)

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. KosmoCramer

Lol he was my favorite character on Seinfeld

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The full title is Recollections of Abraham Lincoln, 1847-1865. A digital version of this edition is available online for free through big sites such as HathiTrust, Archive.org, and Google Books. It is the second edition of the book. The second edition was used for a later reprinting by University of Nebraska Press, and perhaps by others.

So the text of the book is readily available, and it is not a first edition. Both of those facts lead me to think it does not have a lot of value. Rarity does not always mean something is valuable. However, looks like it is in good condition, and I think there will be a buyer for it.

Oh, and I just went back to your original post and noticed that you said you bought it at your local library's store. If it has library markings at all, that is another indication of little value. (I know library stores sometimes sell books that have never been in a library, though.)

KingofThings and aaroncab like this.
  8. Figtree3

One more thing... this edition shows up in a lot of library collections, according to WorldCat. -- If you were just wondering if it is rare, and not selling it, I don't think that it really is rare. However, the fact that not many are for sale may show that people are holding on to it, or maybe there are fewer in private hands? Or we just happen to be in a time period when not many are selling it. It's impossible to know.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. KosmoCramer

I don’t plan on selling it. I was just curious about it since I couldn’t find it online (except for the online and modern reprints). There are no library markings stamped in it (except for a very old sticker). The library resells donated books for fundraising. Thanks for the help all!

Figtree3, aaroncab and KingofThings like this.
  10. Figtree3

Well, I hope you enjoy it!

KosmoCramer and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted