Red beaded necklace.. stone or glass ? TIA

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Xristina, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

Hello,

The beads are cold to touch and they tests as quartz/amethyst/citrine on Presidium tester.. I'm pretty sure they are not amethyst or citrine, but I have no idea what they might be.. the clasp is marked 925. Could you please shed some light ? Thank you ! :)

IMG_2969.JPG
    IMG_2971.JPG IMG_2972.JPG

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

upload_2020-4-26_20-14-13.png

Does that say China?

KSW likes this.
  3. Xristina

No, that's the spring for the clasp.. but the clasp looks Asian..
    IMG_2967.JPG

4. clutteredcloset49

KSW and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Most likely carnelian, a Chinese favourite and the same hardness on the Mohs scale as quartz/amethyst/citrine.

KSW and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

Maybe, but doesn't seem to have the see throughness of carnelian. Looks more opaque like that goldstone - not sure that is the right name. It's orange with gold speckles.
    Think I need a vitamin E. Words aren't there this morning.

KSW likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is the right name.:) Goldstone is in fact glass, so I think the hardness is lower than 7, which quartz/amethyst/citrine are.

clutteredcloset49 and KSW like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that with that nice sterling clasp that has the additional safety catch the beads were not knotted. Afraid that despite the Presidium reading I see glass here.

KSW likes this.
  9. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Just throwing this out there ...
    I've seen red jasper pieces that appear to be close in color to your beads. What I can't see in your photos is the veining that I usually associate with that stone.

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The made a lot of necklaces like this back in the 80s. The stones were jaspers, etc and often dyed. These might be rhodochrosite but smart money's on the jasper or what I call RDR (Random Dyed Rock). The beads usually weren't all that expensive.

clutteredcloset49, Bronwen and KSW like this.
  11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

What kind of veining?The OP's stone could be carnelian or sard ... https://sedagems.com/blog/gemstone-information/sard-sardonyx-carnelian/

Bronwen and KSW like this.
  12. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

?? A pattern of lines that run through what I know as red jasper.

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and KSW like this.
  13. Bronwen

Xristina, aaroncab and quirkygirl like this.
  14. Xristina

These beads have some orange speckles in them, but they are not shiny like goldstone..

I agree that Presidium is not always very reliable, but usually when it's glass, the needle doesn't move at all.. for these beads, it goes all the w:):kiss:ay to quartz/amethyst..

I don't see that either..

Random Dyed Rock describes them very well and covers all the bases..

On the link you posted, it says that sard is a variety of quartz, so that might explain why Presidium goes to quartz ??

I like the "hunt" for finding interesting items, but I hate the "homework", sometimes it's really difficult .. :D:D

Thank you, everyone, for all your help !

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  15. Bronwen

In the beginning there was quartz.

Macrocrystalline quartz. Amethyst (purple), citrine (yellow), rose quartz (pink), rock crystal (colorless). I sometimes see jewellery using something labeled as 'green amethyst'. To me this is an oxymoron but perhaps it's made by applying some treatment to amethyst. Most deeply colored citrine available now started out as amethyst.

Microcrystalline quartz.
    Chalcedony. Translucent. Pure form a milky white/grey/blue/lavender. Orange/brown material called carnelian (US)/cornelian (everywhere else) or sard. Sard is darker than cornelian but where the line is drawn is subjective. I reserve 'sard' for stone that is much darker brown than these beads. Some of it looks black until you put a light behind it. Chalcedony is porous & has been dyed since at least Roman times.

Jasper. Opaque. Any color. Solid, banded, speckled, mottled. Bloodstone/heliotrope, deep green with red speckles, is a jasper with a commonly recognized name of its own.

It surprises me that the Presidium generally gets no reading for glass. After all, it is not chemically very different from quartz. Does your machine register anything softer than the quartz family of minerals?

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My diamond tester has a tough time with cabochon stones. Maybe the fact that they're beads is the problem?

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Xristina

Sometimes it goes to glass if it glass, but sometimes it doesn't move, I have no idea why.. ? For example, I have (at hand) this necklace with obvious green glass (even for my untrained eye) and the needle doesn't budge..
    IMG_3023.JPG

I'm sorry, but I don't know what is softer than quartz, I know close to nothing about stones (that's why I have a Presidium).. here is what it supposedly reads..

IMG_3021.JPG

Bronwen likes this.
  18. Bronwen

So glass is the softest material it measures. You could not successfully test something like alabaster. I have no idea why glass does not always register. Perhaps evelyb has the right answer, that it depends on shape.

I do not understand why chrysoprase, which I should have added under jasper, would come out with a different reading than the other quartzes. Cornelian isn't there at all, even though it is probably one of the most common semi-precious stones used in jewellery. Would it test in the quartz range or the chrysoprase range? Why would aquamarine test differently than emerald? Where is zircon? (And cubic zirconia?) And what the heck is CAL, way up there near the border with diamond? I definitely wouldn't rely on this contraption for the definitive identification of anything, although perhaps it is useful in suggesting directions for research.

19. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The "CAL" is for calibrating the probe/machine before testing a stone.

Bronwen likes this.
  20. Bronwen

Ah. Thank you. Do they provide a stone you use for this?

Draft saved Draft deleted