Redware pitcher with marbled decoration

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by verybrad, Apr 10, 2015.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This is a thrift store find from quite awhile ago that I just recently ran across while reorganizing. I had completely forgotten about it and had kind of dismissed it as being newer when I bought it. On closer examination, it does seem to have some age with some old repairs to chips in the slip along the edges. Some of these have some color added but they don't match as well as they could. Others look like they may just have clear lacquer on them.

The only mark is the impressed number 2 in the bottom. Another interesting feature is that the black decoration areas have some iridescence to them that I tried to photograph. This is 5 1/2" tall and about 6" diameter in the body.

Questions:
    I assume this is considered slip decorated redware?
    Any other descriptors?
    Approximate age and origin?
    Can it be attributed?
    Repairs hurt or help? Should I attempt to remove them?
    Good item or run of the mill?

While I know quite a bit about American art pottery, this is a bit out of my element. Any input you all can provide is appreciated! Pics should enlarge if you click on them.

slip.jpg

slip2.jpg

slip3.jpg

slip4.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Got zip but it's nice! :)

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

This one is intriguing to me... I know very little about pottery, but would make a place for it if I found it somewhere.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

On FB there is a site called British Pottery and Porcelain. Someone there shared a site about American pottery. Let me find the exact one because there is a lot of slipware shown.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Here is a search term to try while I go off to look through a few books, Jaspe. It's a French marbled earthenware term but might be worth having a look.

I find trying to identify utilitarian type wares a challenge.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. verybrad

The use of the term jaspe does bring up some similar things........ including this thread here with just the one little mention by SIS. It also brought up a little pitcher sold here on ebay that is not so similar other than it has an impressed number on the bottom like mine. What I am finding is that wares like this were made in Europe but also here in the US in the Northeast and PA.

What my pics here do not show is that the rim of my pitcher is flared out and slightly elongated to the sides. This is a form I am seeing described as a batter pitcher, though mine is not as flared as some with this description. I am coming to the conclusion that this is a legitimately old pitcher but really have not come up with anything similar enough to say where it is from as of yet.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. verybrad

Here are a couple more pics that show the shape of the rim and a nice little crimped detail at the base of the handle.

slip5.jpg

slip6.jpg

8. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

This looks like mochaware marbled slip redware to me.
    Brad, send some detailed pictures to Crockerfarm. The will respond via email with their opinion.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  9. verybrad

Thanks. Those terms do bring up some similar things but not as similar as jaspe does. I had thought about Crocker Farms but wanted to make sure it was really worth inquiring about first.

10. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

IMHO Not American. Too bad. If it WERE American it would be killer.
    I saw one of the competition at an estate sale this morning snag a nice right as rain circa 1830 redware jug with OUTSTANDING green (Iron?) spotting for less than 5 bucks...but I got the samplers:). (Among other things.)

11. verybrad

Thanks Don. This is the direction I am leaning as well. I may just go ahead and send a pic to Crocker Farm to confirm when I get a chance. Right now I am mired in taxes so won't get to it til later in the week.

Draft saved Draft deleted