Religious Carved Wooden Plaque

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, Sep 30, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

What do we have here?
    Chalice with IHS, so Wester Christianity. Thurible, incense boat, crown ? in the middle,wheat, grape, some kind of a knot, sceptre with eagle finial. The top of the staff is usually a cross, is not it. Eagles have been used in older times?
    So, any suggestions on age, origin, type of wood? Souvenir piece, home made project, actual church piece?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Either Catholic or Episcopalian. Is that a bishop's mitre in the center - with the tails going off to the right?

3. kardinalisimo

My bad, it is a mitre no crown.

4. Bakersgma

The wheat and grapes could symbolize the bread and wine for communion.

5. kardinalisimo

I may got it wrong. Probably that bird is not part of the staff but is just perched there.

6. Bakersgma

I don't know. It really does look like the feet are on it and if you look at the scepter as if it were straight up and down (instead of the diagonal line it takes across the plaque) the bird appears to be okay up there.

7. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Dove / Holy Spirit (Ghost)

8. kardinalisimo

Does not look a lot like a dove but it could be.

9. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Kinda looks like oak.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

kinda looks old......and church used.....

11. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I am voting for Catholic. The chalice with the host. The hat in the center could be for a bishop, cardinal or pope depending on its color. The thing on the chain is for the incense. The thing with the bird on top is for sprinkling the congregation with the holy water. The wheat & the grapes signify the the host or bread & wine. The thing over on the side with the grapes is one of the garments worn by the priests.

I know all of this has proper names, but it has been a very long time & it is too late to Google. :p

Peggy

12. kardinalisimo

So, it is aspergil? Could be.
    So, the plaque was possibly hang in a church?

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

No , I don't think so.
    It looks more like a scepter....scepter of the Dove maybe.

And it wasn't hung in a church but rather part of a larger object....an alter, podium, or cabinet perhaps....
    But for all I know about churches....it could be part of some church inspired furniture..

What ever...it's part of a greater whole ......of that I'm sure......I'm also sure whom ever framed it ....had no taste !

14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Looks like it might have been a part of a cabinet like a door or panel.
    greg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  15. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

That is a "stole."

The "stole" is worn around the back of the neck and hanging over the front of the the priest's/minister's "surplice" (a "surplice" is not one of the items shown in the carving).

I think (but am not entirely certain) that the "stole" symbolizes a "yoke" which a priest/minister takes upon his/her shoulders.

16. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

My ol' man says...
    Catholic... Bishop's Chalice, Mitre and Crook.

17. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I may have been mistaken about the holy water thing. It was after midnight after all & like I said it has been a very long time since I was a practicing Catholic.

I agree with it possibly being a panel to a door or possibly part of a chair used during mass where the priest would sit.

Peggy

18. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Well said, Peggy! It looks like the pilfered inset panel for the door of an alter or special case piece holding the communion regalia.

Draft saved Draft deleted