Featured Religious Scene..Jesus before or after Judgement..??? Think It is XIXth Cent..Not signed

Discussion in 'Art' started by BTZ64, Feb 6, 2020.

?

Period of this Painting..!! XIXth Cent..??

1. Origine of this Painting..Italy..France..Spain..??

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Any idea who might have painted it..??

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Here is an old Religious Painting on Canvas nailed on wood frame.
    The Scene represents Jesus Christ with a branch of Olive Tree..?? Surrounded by Eminent Personages...Maybe Before or after Judgement...??
    This Old Painting might be for me from the XIXth Century...And there is no marks or Signature.
    The Dim are L:51cm for W:37cm
    It does need some cleaning(Vernish..)And few minor accidents as well.
    Do you have any idea of from whom orwhere this Painting had been made...??
    Spanish..French..Italian..Or where else...
    Would be very happy to have some Communication with you all regarding this Painting.
    Thanking you in advance
    JB 001.JPG 003.JPG 002.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It is consistent with part of a scene of Jesus before Pilate, during the judgement.

[​IMG]

3. Bronwen

Palm frond. In hagiography it is the symbol of a martyr, & of course there are the palms laid in his path upon his entry into Jerusalem.

4. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  5. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Thanks for the acknowledgement...Does it means that this painting might have been a one from a serie depicting his last moment before Cross..?? In this case it might have been in a Church before..?? Am I right..??

6. Bronwen

Sorry, I'm not an art historian or knowledgeable about things like the way the canvas is attached, etc.

Christmasjoy and BTZ64 like this.
  7. Bronwen

Certainly the painter is likely to have painted other religious subjects. Beyond that, I am not qualified to say. Am I correct that the painting is on a stretcher but not framed?

8. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

OK..But already Thanks for having spend sometime...With very useful comments..

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

It does look as a "nailed" Canvas on wood frame...But all looks very old..???

10. Bronwen

It certainly looks like it has some age on it & I don't think it has been artificially distressed.

The nails themselves are a clue to age & they definitely look old. Wait for others.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Hope so..!!! Thanks again..!!

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think it likely shows Jesus being mocked. There are 3 instances of that in the crucifixion cycle, but none of then are stations of the cross, so a painting like this might be associated with the stations of the cross, but not formally part of that iconography. It would be included in the larger passion of Jesus which, I believe, would be less restrictive as to what might be depicted. At least that's my understanding.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  13. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Very interesting..!! Any idea for you ,how old is this Painting..If I might..??

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Bronwen

It is curious that Jesus' eyes are nearly closed. My memory is imperfect: was he lashed while in custody?

BTZ64 likes this.
  15. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Frankly speaking,I am not a great Connoisseur regarding the Last Moments of Jesus..But as per your comments..I will say that He doesn't have closed eyes..He just still watch at this piece of Branch..(Olive Tree..??)..Despite having the body marked with bloody wounds already....Does this ,can mean something..???

16. Bronwen

That is why I asked if he was lashed - whipped - early on, to account for the bleeding places. Maybe the lowered eyes indicate humility.

BTZ64 likes this.
  17. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Ok Understand you...But don't know myself the real written history of this moment...What about the piece of branch...?? Any idea..Or it is only from the painter imagination....That is why the dating of this Picture ..(XIXth Cent I think)..would be so more easier for us to interpretate the image painted of Christ.

18. Bronwen

See my second post re: the branch. Having Jesus hold a palm frond in this scene is 'artistic license', the painter's own addition.

BTZ64 likes this.
  19. Bronwen

Stylistically it is older than that, XVIIIth.

20. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Ok Now..Better understood ...Thanks!!

Draft saved Draft deleted