Featured Renaissance Revival Oval Center Table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Ghopper1924, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Just scored this center table for a good fee at an auction in the U.S. Midwest over the weekend. The top at its widest is 38", the height is the usual 29 1/2". It's walnut, walnut veneer and Carrera marble. I'd guess ca. 1865, Renaissance Revival, about 100 pounds or so.

So my questions:
    1) For a manufacturing location, I'd guess NE U.S. There is one on E-Bay with the exact same pedestal and a slightly different oval top. No idea on the maker, and of course no labels. It does remind me of Thomas Brooks.

2) Insurance value? Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 2.39.43 PM.png

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

1860s or something walnut? NICE PIECE! I have a tabletop just like that, but my base isn't nearly as nice. It's a family/inherited piece though, so tough. :) If I were taking a wild guess on origins, I'd say New York or Tri-state somewhere, but that's worth what you're paying.

4. Ghopper1924

Actually, I think that's a good guess. New York, maybe Philadelphia.

Would you be willing to take a photo of yours? I'd love to see it.

Any ideas on insurance value? $2K too high or not high enough?

judy likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's quite a table. Would have been expensive in its time. And how lovely it's found a home where it will be valued.

Debora

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  6. Ghopper1924

Thanks Debora! It's hard for us not to love the Victorian, even if it's out of fashion. :)

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very nice.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. evelyb30

Mine is essentially my charging station for my tablets.(LOL) The wood is dried out enough that I don't trust it to do much more than stand around and look cute. I will try to get a picture in daylight tomorrow though.

Any Jewelry, judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's a splendid table..... use it well..!:cool::cool:

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Who cares about fashion. It is a beautiful quality piece.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think too high. You can get most any marble top parlor table for under $1K these days. Here are a couple examples I found.

$600.00 + 20% BP Attributed to Brooks
    parlor.jpg
    Source: Brooks Victorian Parlor table - Dec 08, 2018 | Schmidt's Antiques Inc. Since 1911 in MI (liveauctioneers.com)

$850.00 + 18% BP
    parlor2.jpg
    Source: 120: ca 1860 NY Victorian carved walnut oval marble top - Oct 26, 2010 | Flying Pig Auctions in NH (liveauctioneers.com)

Any Jewelry, komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  12. Ghopper1924

Thanks Brad!!

komokwa likes this.
  13. evelyb30

DSCF5464.JPG DSCF5465.JPG Took a few quick and dirties of mine. The wood is all dried out, but if I could lift the top these days it still has my great-grandparent's street address written on the marble underneath!

14. marthahill

marthahill Active Member

Ghopper,, you know that insurance value and resale value is not quite the same ! Stay with $1850. TO $2k for insurance value and likely you may get 75% of that should anything happen ! Resale is likely $1000. to $1500. on a good day with a tail wind !

Any Jewelry and Ghopper1924 like this.
  15. Ghopper1924

@evelyb30

Beautiful!!! So it's been in your family for 3 generations? Or did they get it back in the 1870s?

Anyway, IMO you underestimated the beauty of your piece. Love it!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. Ghopper1924

Awesome @marthahill !!

Yes, I do indeed know difference, thanks to you back in the day. Thanks for coming up with those figures ! :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. evelyb30

Not sure, but my grandmother was born in 1898 and she wasn't the oldest kid. Great-grandma was born around 1872 and got married circa 1890. It might have belonged to her parents or grandparents even.

Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I saw four pretty similar tables sell at auction last week. Most expensive went for $180. Least expensive (smaller) went for $60. Another went for $80, and the other I think was $110. A table with similar base but solid walnut top went for $40. That was in the region you believe your table was made in. Granted 90% of the furniture went very cheap but that’s just an idea for you. I love your table and would have ten like it if I had the room.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  19. evelyb30

That sounds about right. Great-grandma and Grandpa had eleven kids. Who can afford fancy furniture?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  20. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Great pieces!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted