Featured Repair of Daum Polar Bear - Looking for opinions

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Grateful, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Grateful

Grateful Well-Known Member

This piece, while fortunately not damaged, did become two separate pieces during a recent move. I think it was my fault, as it was accidentally left in a non climate-controlled area for a short while. Plus, he/she has been around quite a long time. Since it's kinda pricey, I cannot decide how to put it back. Just a few flakes of adhesive left that easily come off. Is it worth professional repair, or does it make more sense to reattach on my own with the appropriate adhesive (suggestions on an adhesive technique?) TIA

Daum1.JPG
    Daum2.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if u know exactly where to place it...find the best glass glue....and have at it.....sparingly..

3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

judy and Grateful like this.
  4. Grateful

Thank you for that resource. I will call them & hopefully they can give me an idea of the expense involved.

bobsyouruncle and judy like this.
  5. wiscbirddog

Good luck! Lovely piece & think it would be best to have it professionally fixed. Shouldn't be too expensive since it isn't broken.

bobsyouruncle, judy and Grateful like this.
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It may be a free repair if done by the manufacturer...

bobsyouruncle, judy and Grateful like this.
  7. Grateful

There are retailers in the states (I think-I didn't purchase myself), but I think all the mfg may be done in France. This thing is large & heavy, so shipping costs are definitely a factor. Good suggestion though. I know if I contact a better brand about any sort of item, they often replace or repair for little to nothing if I am VERY nice.:)

8. antidiem

Yes, exactly. A manufacturer should stand behind their product. I was once sent shipping labels by a shoe mfg to return 3 pairs, so it's worth contacting them.

bobsyouruncle and judy like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

AND your bear is simply GORGEOUS!!!!!:singing::singing::singing::singing::happy::happy::happy:

bobsyouruncle, Grateful and judy like this.
  10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I love it too!

bobsyouruncle and Grateful like this.
  11. Grateful

Thank you. I love it, too. It's got a sibling waiting anxiously to play with it.

12. Grateful

Thought I'd pass along some info, in case someone else finds themselves in need of glass repair. The owner "Mark" and I spoke yesterday. His shop is under renovation and closed for business until March. He will only give estimates by seeing the piece in person and has a $300 minimum. His testimonials are superb, so it's simply a matter of how much $$ one wants to spend for repair. He said if I reminded him of our conversation, I'd go to the head of the line. At least I have several months to contemplate spending the $$, or finding an alternative since there is no damage. Sounds like a good resource if you have a valuable piece that you or your family absolutely love.

bobsyouruncle and antidiem like this.
  13. antidiem

I'm glad to hear he will stand by his work to repair it, but dismayed to hear he won't fix it for less than three hundred dollars! I would be perplexed, as nothing is even chipped, and he has some "policy" for a minimum amount he is willing to repair it for. Like you, I don't know if I would want to spend $300. I might repair it myself, or simply sell it, give it, donate it..

kyratango and judy like this.
  14. wiscbirddog

This is a glass repairing place, not the designer/maker of the item.

bobsyouruncle, Grateful and judy like this.
  15. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

it's not that uncommon for the plateau and pedestal to separate in cake stands that are joined by adhesives. Many Fostoria stands show discoloration of the adhesive. I have had them repaired and also repaired them myself using glass epoxy that is available at most hardware stores.

16. antidiem

That was not clear to me. I suggested the OP contact the manufacturer (who would be the maker of the piece) so when I read "owner Mark", thought how sad it was he wouldn't stand by his item for less than $300. I would have no impetus to go out and spend $300 (as a minimum lol) to take it to some elitist glass repair shop.

I would do exactly what Tallcakes mentioned and use glass epoxy myself.

@Grateful - I suggest you contact the manufacturer instead. ;)

Grateful, judy and kyratango like this.
  17. Grateful

Sorry that was unclear in my post. I simply wanted to provide info in case someone has a disaster and cannot bear to toss the item. It does sound like he's some kind of miracle worker, but this isn't a disaster by any means. I know my Mother paid $1K+ for this, but I'd never see anything close to that if I resold (might not even get the $300ish repair). Pretty sure I'll work on this one myself and just enjoy.

antidiem, dgbjwc and kyratango like this.
  18. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

You might look at Hxtal NYL-1 as an adhesive. It's a two part epoxy with low yellowing properties. I've used it on ceramics which it is recommended for but I think it's glass that it's supposed to be especially good on. It dries slowly though.

Might Google and see what you think.

19. Grateful

Good point taken, as I had a cake stand come apart in a similar manner during the move, but never equated them as basically the same repair.

antidiem and i need help like this.
  20. antidiem

Excellent! :cat: I have some of my mother's old broken "project pieces" that I've not gotten around to repairing either (and some of my own too, of course!) I stopped guilting myself about this, am now somewhat resigned that they will just never be repaired and I'm 'ok' with that! :shame::shame:

Excellent, thanks SIS! :joyful::kiss:

Draft saved Draft deleted