Repair? Very old Hand Plow / Cultivator, cracked arm

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by tgm1024, Jun 17, 2020.

1. tgm1024

tgm1024 New Member

Online I see mixed answers to questions similar to mine.

I have this old hand plow/cultivator that's been in my family for years. It has a cracked limb in it. It would be an easy repair (I've repaired things before), but will show two screws on the underside.

Here is the hand cultivator:

20200611_122314_3.jpg

It's the closest bracket that has cracked the end of the forelimb.

So I'm concerned....Should I keep as is, or do a simple repair with predrilled screws / high quality low-visibility wood glue or epoxy? I'm only listing it for ~$100 (suggested by a friend), so it's not the end of the world.

Note: I can't repair it strong enough for actual use, because this would require the tightening one of the ancient square nuts, which would be a diaster in appearances to replace.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

My vote is to not do anything to it and just disclose the problem. Or possibly, offer to fix after payment is received, if they so choose.

Only a masochist would try and use that thing for real work.

Welcome to Antiquers!

tgm1024 and komokwa like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome.
    People are reluctant to click on links.

If you are using your phone, email the pictures to yourself as medium, save them. Then post from there.

Pictures need to be 1MB or smaller.

tgm1024 and blooey like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS, @tgm1024!!! Just happen to have one of them leaning against a tree in the front yard, for decoration!!! I'd probably do as @sabre suggested, but let buyer know it'd NOT be for actual functional use after repair!!!:happy:

EDIT: Actually on looking, ours is a bit different....has a small V plow (?) behind.....

5. tgm1024

tgm1024 New Member

Thanks for all the welcoming guys! Yeah, looking online, if I were to attempt this, I would probably opt for an of-era horse glue or similar resin, but the biggest problem with gluing wood with an identifiable surface characteristic (such as the old, weathered, heavy matte gray look) is that the squeeze-out can be impossible to clean. You can't sand these things without it looking sanded, and the antique gray would have it's surface forever smoothed and marred even with careful pulling up of the excess.
    20200611_122314_3.jpg

Yeah, I think that might be the difference between a "hand plow" and "hand cultivator". {shrug}

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    clutteredcloset49 and Aquitaine like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Ours has been outside for many years.....husband just puts linseed oil on the wood now and then....still holding up fine!!!

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted