Featured Reproduction of plate 25 harmonia macrocosmica.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Nick72, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Good day to all.
    3 years ago picked-up this framed print that was on the side of the road, it attracted my attention because of the beautiful colors and also the subject, it was about to Pour big time as a storm was coming so i guess i saved it from destruction!

I know these are reproductions of the Celestial plates from Andreas Cellarius that were Published by Petrum and Schenk in the Nederlands in the 17th Century.
    I find this one lovely, very well done, vivid colors. The plate Imprint in the paper is 1/2" outside of the Etched area.

When looked through the light you can see like on the picture that the Laid paper used was from the Van Gelder Zonen paper manufacture in The Nederlands.
    I have seen other ones very similar to mine printed on Good quality Laid Paper from different paper factories.

My question is when were these produced and by Whom, there only seems to be a few plates that were reproduced ( perhaps the more appealing ones), Plates 22 to 29 and 25 and 28 being the most common.

I know they are not worth much but i like it quite a bit and will frame it appropriately.

Thanks in advance and have a great day.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pat P, Aquitaine, scoutshouse and 8 others like this.
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Someone threw that OUT!!!????

Bronwen, i need help and scoutshouse like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Silver,
    People throw out some incredible pieces, that is why I was always "dumpster diving". One of my favorite oriental rugs I had was in the corner trash can in Manhattan. I asked the bus driver to stop for a second while I dragged the rug back on to the bus. People thought I was a nut job. I did not care I got 20 grand for the rug a few years later.
    greg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Nick72, komokwa, judy and 5 others like this.
  4. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Yup...caught it before the rainstorm and the Garbage truck LOL!!

komokwa, judy, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I don't have info for you, but I'm so glad you rescued it!

Nick72, judy, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

What did they think of the bus driver? And did you share the proceeds?

Nick72 and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted