Republic Of Ireland "W" Mark On "Brutalist-Cliffs" Vase-I.D.Help??

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by SPERLS, Mar 26, 2015.

1. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

The vase is 8-1/2" tall..Any help appreciated!
    IMG_3770.JPG IMG_3774.JPG IMG_3771.JPG IMG_3772.JPG IMG_3773.JPG

moreotherstuff and komokwa like this.
  2. susie

susie Member

WOW, that is certainly different!

I can't help with the id i am afraid, never seen one of these before.

judy and KingofThings like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't know what Brutalist cliffs are , but that sure looks like a split log with a burl on it !
    To me anyways ...

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The "W" could be Waterford, they are known for Waterford Crystal glass but there is a Waterford Ceramics.

judy likes this.
  5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It looks like the mark should be turned, then it would read IE. Helpful, huh? I found one other like this on worthpoint, in a yellowish color, but no info.

judy likes this.
  6. komokwa

Best I can do....
    but I'm forbidden from the site backstamps.com....

Wade...
    center page,,,
    wade.jpg

7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Well, you could have knocked me over with a feather! I never would have guessed Wade. The page above is pg. 17 of "The World of Wade Ireland."
    Don

judy and komokwa like this.
  8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Did a little more digging in the Wade Ireland book. I found two vases with Mark Type 40B. Both were 4 3/4" high and look like a high gloss glaze. They are a pretty standard vase shape (long necked and round) and the captions identified them as lat 1970's to early 1980s production. It goes on to say that that at least one of the vases was designed by Kilkenney Design Workshop. It should be noted that the mark on your vase does differ from the mark shown in the book. I wouldn't let that worry me too much as Wade used a great number of marks and variations on those marks. Your vase has an unfinished look for Wade do I'm thinking maybe your design was a prototype that never made it into production. It's hard to tell, though, without a hands-on exam. There is more info regarding Kilkenney Design Workshop in the book so if you'd like more info just let me know.

Don

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

My first thought was Wade: that W style is a dead giveaway. That's certainly one of their odder creations.

10. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I am blown away. I have always thought Wade was British not Irish. I must have over 100 Wade figurines.
    greg

judy likes this.
  12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Wade is English, it originated in Stoke on Trent.

judy and gregsglass like this.
  13. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

My first thought was also 'Wade" and I could not find any similar marks,by them...I saw the live auction result & their description added no additional help??...I will check out the Wade & Kilkenney websites & hope for more information.

Thanks,to all for your input.

judy likes this.
  14. susie

susie Member

Hi, there is also Irish Wade, i don't know if its the same factory or not!

15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Wade was most certainly British. They set up a subsidiary in Ulster: http://www.littleshamrocks.com/Irish-Wade-Pottery.html

However, having thought this through, I'm now not convinced it's Wade Ireland. See, Wade Ireland was in Ulster, which is by no stretch of the imagination in the Republic. They didn't have a pottery in the South. Whilst I can imagine the Kilkenny workshop doing design work, I can't see that an item made in the North would say Republic of Ireland.

16. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Thanks for clearing that up.:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:
    greg

judy likes this.
  17. komokwa

So , yet again I'm wrong and of no help...........:vomit:

I guess I've learned my place in things.:stop::stop::stop:

judy likes this.
  18. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Wow! I used to collect a lot of wades and wade pieces, and Wade for that vase never would have occured to me. Although, I have since sold 90% of my collection, I still keep/ buy the unusual pieces when I see them. I have a small collection of copies of Wades done in Brass by the Canadianna Brass company. I haven't searched any more out, but I do buy them when I see them. 007 (600x216).jpg

judy and mymysharona43 like this.
  19. Meru

Meru New Member

i need help likes this.
  20. Meru

Meru New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted