Featured Request on identifying french sideboard&possible resell value?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by skskskkk, Sep 24, 2017.

1. skskskkk

skskskkk New Member

File_007.jpg File_001(1).jpg File_003.jpg File_003(1).jpg File_0100.jpg

Hello, My mom purchased this about 10 year ago from a friend of her, and now planning to sell. We bought this when I was in Canada, and we were told it was a french sideboard(possibly Quebec?). We paid around 4k for this. 50cm(w)x215(l)x109(h). I would like to know where it came from(and when) and how much is resell value going to be(especially in asian countries, as i am in Korea).

Thank you very much guys! Looking forward for your answers

Attached Files:

2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I'm a furniture idiot, but I do attend auctions now and then. I doubt if anyone here can tell how that item would do selling from Korea. My gut feeling is that unless it somehow strikes a chord with something collectors are seeking now, you won't get anywhere near $4k for it. I'm thinking this is a mid-20th C. good-quality piece made in a 19th C. Style.. I'm guessing that in a typical US auction $500. is closer to what it could bring, but again, I'm furniture ignorant.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    Ghopper1924, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Are you talking 4K, USD?????!!!

Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Believe this to be a fairly modern piece. Consequently, no where near the value of what you paid in today's market. As spring said above, also no idea of the Korean market. You would do best to consult with someone locally unless some of the members from that part of the world come along and can help.

5. skskskkk

skskskkk New Member

there is a good chance that it was a fraud. My mon was new to furniture bacl then and spoke little enlgish. A manager from furniture shop proposed 1000$ and just making sure it is correct. So it is no authetic antique stuff right?

6. skskskkk

skskskkk New Member

i am wondering is it seriously gonna be 500$? I have seen much of stuff made recently in antique style from china/indonesia cost easily around 500$ in Korean market.

7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yes, it could very well be $500, as others have said the Korean market has it's own preferences and you may/may not do better. It's certainly going to be no where near 4k.

8. skskskkk

skskskkk New Member

thank you guys i appreciate it my mom is very unhappy now((

9. James Conrad

Sorry MOM! Sometimes these things happen but mom made a bad decision here, the time to come here or somewhere similar for information was BEFORE she bought it, not after.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

On the other hand, if she used it and loved it, the price wasn't too high. Most people buy furniture to use, not resell some day.

11. James Conrad

Good point! As a collector, i mostly care about having interesting things to live with.

Sandra, Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted