Featured Researching an old quilt

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Steve Shubinski, Mar 11, 2023.

1. Steve Shubinski

Steve Shubinski Well-Known Member

I have an old quilt, 19th century I believe, but I know nothing about quilts and am trying too see if the experts might be able to help me out. I believe this is an Applique type quilt but that is where my knowledge ends. The size of the quilt is 77" x 74" and the materials appears to be cotton. Anything else you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    qult 1.jpg quilt 2.jpg quilt 3.jpg quilt 4.jpg quilt 5.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's a bed spread......but I'm not sure I'd refer to that as a quilt..?

judy likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Yes it is a quilt. The stitching makes it so.

4. komokwa

oh well, not the patchwork quilts I'm familiar with...:oops:

LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Steve Shubinski, can you take some REALLY CLOSE, IN FOCUS images of the various stitching here and there on it, please?? Pretty sure others as well as myself will want to examine it up CLOSE!! Thanks!!

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks like a center applique medallion with a really old patchwork pattern around the outside. The problem is those patterns are still in use, and quilts are still being hand-stitched. So whether it's old or made to look old, or just made the way the quilter wanted to make it...dunno. Someone who knows traditional patterns may come along and pin (*rimshot*) a name on it for you. I'm a jigsaw quilter and work in the reverse of traditional quilting - I start with random pieces and work backward.

7. Steve Shubinski

Thanks for all the feedback! Attached are some closeups of the stitching. Hope I captured that OK.
    quilt 6.jpg quilt 7.jpg quilt 8.jpg quilt 9.jpg quilt 11.jpg

8. evelyb30

Looks hand-stitched, and not Chinese-style hand-stitched either.

9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Will you share how you determine this? IMHO the stitching does not look at all accomplished.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  10. komokwa

LauraGarnet02, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Is this a machine stitched line? (not that I know much about quilts)

upload_2023-3-13_9-49-56.png

LauraGarnet02, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  12. evelyb30

It had me wondering too. Still not 100% convinced, but the thread changes colors in that tan area. The Chinese-made factory quilts just use one color thread. If you find knots in the thread on the back, that would tell me it's hand done. It doesn't look like a pro did the topstitching.

LauraGarnet02 and bluumz like this.
  13. Steve Shubinski

I did not even think about taking photos of the back. Maybe these will help.

quilt 12.jpg quilt 13.jpg quilt 14.jpg

14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

To ME, I'm thinking the most recent back images tend to look hand stitched, but the one that @say_it_slowly is questioning with the RED arrow, I THINK might be machine stitching where she's point to.....it just looks too close and even to be hand stitched.....but I'm not an expert.....I just have several antique hand stitched quilts, as I remember.....they're pretty buried though.......I sharpened what USER=50]@say_it_slowly[/USER] was showing though.......you can enlarge in on-screen.......

upload_2023-3-13_9-49-56-sharpen-Softness.jpg

15. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

16. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Lucille.b, Bakersgma and 2manybooks like this.
  17. evelyb30

It looks like a churn dash but doesn't quite get there.

18. Steve Shubinski

Thank you all for this great information!

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted