Featured Researching interesting seafood plate. Made in Portugal

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rangerden, Apr 18, 2021.

1. rangerden

rangerden New Member

Hello folks, this is my first post. I am just a curious collector of mostly vintage toys from my youth in the late 70's and 80's, mostly for nostalgia, but sometimes I come across something a at a Thrift store that I just can't leave behind.
    This seafood plate, made in Portugal is in very good shape and I did some keyword searches like " portugal lobster ceramic plate" and found similar items in the $100 - $1,200 value range. There is some writing on the back of the plate and with some initial research I found "CALDAS DA RAINHA" and one of the artist may be A. Miguel, but I don't know how to find out the approximate date or value of this interesting plate. Any help would be extremely appreciated!! IMG_5697.jpg IMG_5699.jpg IMG_5702.jpg IMG_5700.jpg IMG_5699.jpg IMG_5697.jpg IMG_5699.jpg IMG_5700.jpg IMG_5701.jpg IMG_5702.jpg IMG_5697.jpg IMG_5699.jpg IMG_5700.jpg IMG_5701.jpg IMG_5702.jpg IMG_5697.jpg IMG_5699.jpg IMG_5700.jpg IMG_5701.jpg IMG_5702.jpg

elarnia, quirkygirl, wildrose and 4 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's modern Palissy ware. Given name is stamped, I would think A. Miguel the name of the fabrica which, would have been located as given, in the Portuguese pottery center of Caldas da Rainha. Does look older but not old old. In what part of the world did you find it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palissy_ware

Debora

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

elarnia, rangerden, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
  7. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

And to add it's also a wonderful area to visit and generally not too packed outside of the very height of the holiday season.

elarnia, rangerden and Debora like this.
  8. rangerden

rangerden New Member

Hi Debora, I found it in Eastern Canada, in a Salvation Army Thrift store in the Province of New Brunswick. Thanks

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  9. rangerden

rangerden New Member

Here is a full photo of the back of the plate. It measures approx. 10-1/2" inches across.
    IMG_5721.jpg IMG_5722.jpg

10. rangerden

rangerden New Member

Hi Debora, how can we tell the age and/or value of something like this?

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I didn't realize yours was designed as a wall hanging. Not to be facetious but... Value is what someone will pay for it. You just have to find sold comparables. I like to use eBay because it's easy to search Completed vs. Sold vs. current listings to get an idea of collector interest. Condition will impact value, of course, but those sea anemones are rather unusual.

As to age... Not my area of expertise but... If I had to make an educated guess, I'd think pre-mass tourism (1960s-1970s.) 1950s perhaps? You might contact the museum and ask when A. Miguel was active. The contact information is here and they will speak English.

Debora

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 5.43.01 PM.png

elarnia, patd8643 and rangerden like this.
  12. rangerden

rangerden New Member

Thank you so much Debora, I really appreciate your help with this. Cheers!

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Pleasure.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted