Featured Restored Dressing Table Information Request | Broken Handle

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Ethan K, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Ethan K

Ethan K New Member

Hi there,

I recently restored a half whitewashed antique dresser unit that was in my late grandad's garage, after he bought it at a charity shop and never got round to it. I would love any information on it, its got superb oak sides and top, and whilst I'm sure it's not very special, I'd like an age range and a suggested price for it in the condition its in now. I'm in the UK also. It currently has a broken handle and I have no idea what to do with it, the handles have left quite deep black marks on the drawer fronts, so I'm loathed to get a different shape, leaving holes and marks. I've attached close ups of the handles, so if there is by some miracle a way to buy a replacement, that would be amazing, or other than that just some opinions would be great! Not bad for a first project!

Thanks
    Ethan
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

i need help, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Beautiful!

i need help likes this.
  3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Late victorian, Eastlake style, very minimal value these days in (usa), guesses $100 or less, not sure how many GBP that is. Value could be more or less in UK as i have no clue on what brown furniture goes for there.
    Interesting on "whitewash", are you sure it wasn't painted? Timber does not look oak in pics which leads me to think it was painted originally.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    judy likes this.
  4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Well rats, Mr. Conrad! And after all that work!

Ethan: If you are not on the breadlines, may I suggest that you keep this? It is solid, useful, and it looks Smashing! And besides, it is your First Project. Which makes it useful for reference.

I kept, until recently, my very first I-bought-it-myself antique. I would have it still, except that some miserable #%@&&)%%)& stole it.

johnnycb09, antidiem and James Conrad like this.
  5. James Conrad

LOL, well sorry! I could be wrong! he's in UK! maybe it's different there? plus victorian era really isn't my thing, wait for others to post.
    In USA this late victorian eastlake style is often call "cottage" furniture & is painted which i suspect OP chest of drawers was.

antidiem likes this.
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Agree with James Conrad about it being "cottage furniture" and it likely started out with white milk paint, which is a beast to strip...

judy likes this.
  7. James Conrad

judy likes this.
  8. antidiem

Yes I agree with your assessment of OP's chest, James.

James Conrad likes this.
  9. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Lots of these in U.K. auctions (you can check the archived sales catalogues for sold prices) and Antique Shops for retail prices. It’s pretty and looks small enough to fit in most homes.

James Conrad, judy and antidiem like this.
  10. Ethan K

Ethan K New Member

judy likes this.
  11. Ethan K

Ethan K New Member

12. James Conrad

Unfortunately, here in USA it would sell easier & for more $$ painted but at this point i would leave it be, it looks great! you did a very nice job restoring/refinishing it, it just doesn't happen to be in fashion here in USA at the moment.
    The pulls should be available there to complete restoration.

judy and antidiem like this.
  13. Ethan K

Ethan K New Member

It's definitely going to be kept around, I was just interested in a price out of curiosity, my Nan is having it in her bedroom. What would you do about the handle situation?

judy and antidiem like this.
  14. Ethan K

Ethan K New Member

I decided the wood finish looked a lot nicer, people will get over the paint craze eventually, and I don't plan on selling it yet, the price was for curiosity .would you look for the exact handles or a similar design? I've had a brief look an am struggling to find them. Any help would be appreciated

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  15. James Conrad

It's just the bail on one pull that is missing isn't it? If so, i would guess no worries on finding replacement.

judy likes this.
  16. James Conrad

It would be easy here as literally MILLIONS of these chest of drawers were built in USA 1880-1900 however, i notice your pulls are cast brass (very nice feature), here they were usually stamped brass. Still if if it's just the "bail" it should be fairly simple to find in UK.

judy likes this.
  17. antidiem

I would just keep my eyes open for a match, or leave it broken.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  18. James Conrad

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    antidiem and i need help like this.
  19. Ethan K

Ethan K New Member

I appreciate at this point I'm probably annoying, however I was looking for a near identical match, these seem more plain, thank you for your website though, I'll continue looking through. Any recommendations on there?

antidiem likes this.
  20. James Conrad

No sorry, i just googled it & UK stuff is limited in what is available online here in USA. I have had cast brass pulls made here by small boutique type foundries for 17th-18th century furniture pulls but as posted above, PRICEY!

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted