Featured Revival Art Nouveau?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by BMRT, Jun 7, 2019.

1. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

Another brooch I’m looking at.

I’m not sure what to make of it. It’s sterling and marked according to the seller. It’s listed as enamel. All my enameled pieces are guilloché, etc. I don’t know much about this stained glass effect. I think it’s eye catching and I haven’t seen anything like it.

The seller marked this as an “unknown period” but it looks new. Thoughts? 3E847C31-7A3E-4DF3-BA0D-E2A326FFDCFF.jpeg BC4909D2-3DC6-43B9-8B76-F144F52C4173.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous! I agree, Art Nouveau Revival. The enamel without metal backing is called plique á jour.
    Plique á jour AN style pieces and AN replicas are still being made. There is a Dutch firm that makes them, but I don't know if this is one of theirs.

3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

New, new, new..... Appealing by the design, flooding Ebay and Etsy when you search for antique ones:(
    Resin enamel, made to look like "plique à jour" Art Nouveau:)

4. Any Jewelry

Ah, hence the fancy colours. Thanks for the info.

5. kyratango

[​IMG][​IMG] upload_2019-6-7_14-55-28.jpeg
    Those above are genuine antiques.
    original and... modern copy:
    upload_2019-6-7_14-56-1.jpeg upload_2019-6-7_14-56-12.jpeg

6. Any Jewelry

Not even a real copy, that face is extremely different, someone I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley.:nailbiting:

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't think that's plique a jour. Looks more to me like stained glass assembled using copper foil.

KikoBlueEyes, scoutshouse and BMRT like this.
  8. kyratango

No no, the resin holds by itself in the open cells when carefully applied:D
    It is how I kyratise my damaged plique jewellery:)
    After:
    [​IMG]
    Before:
    [​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I see a lot of solder on OP's brooch, and a lot of irregularity in the framework. I don't think its resin.

KikoBlueEyes, scoutshouse and BMRT like this.
  10. BMRT

Is this something to be careful of? Is that a bad thing?

KikoBlueEyes and scoutshouse like this.
  11. kyratango

This Ebay listing is same item, 45millimeters by 25millimeters....
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/143277223219
    [​IMG]
    Do you really think they mounted stained glass this tiny, with solder???:facepalm:;)

Resin is more obvious on this similar production one:
    [​IMG]

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Yes. I've done it. Might be worth checking online to see if there are stained glass jewelry patterns, or even kits, out there.

It's not a bad thing. It's an attractive brooch.

13. kyratango

@moreotherstuff Updated the comment above with another pic!

Appealing jewellery, as I said, but totally new commercially made.:D

14. BMRT

That’s because it’s the same item, lol the listing I found was on eBay too so I’m pretty sure it’s the same one!

Zooming in on the picture it looks like there’s some kind of little box in her head. What do you think? 9FCD67C5-1653-400C-B29F-B6B30E6EB5B8.jpeg

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  15. kyratango

Hehe, That seemed too to me;)
    Now you have it in hand, can you look through a loupe to see if the rectangle showed is a mark of some sort? Edit: I just saw you were only looking at the brooch and asked opinion:facepalm:

16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The resin jewelry seems to consistently use cast framework to hold the colors. It results in a regularity in the lines that I am not seeing here.

The biggest argument for it being resin might be in the hair, where some of the bits seem to be two-toned, but that's also where the framework seems most irregular and soldered. Maybe it's half-and-half.

17. BMRT

I found another with the same body, different colors. I think it’s definitely revival and probably a mass produced one and not a kit or repair.

Thanks everyone for your two cents, as always!

18. kyratango

Only have a look to how many of these new plique are on Ebay now...
    Just enter "plique" in jewelry category:woot:

19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If it's resin, I would expect a meniscus, a rounding at the edges of the colored bits.

upload_2019-6-7_10-18-20.jpeg

Could be concave or convex.

kyratango and Dawnno like this.
  20. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

Thanks, @kyratango. As a 'general rule' I find that kind of comparative post is SO important and helpful, so, particularly when a novice in this area like me sees the differences in 'aesthetics', as opposed to form, content, methods, etc., it just 'pops out' how important the experiential factor is when dealing with an object, especially one being assessed 'in a vacuum'. There is just NO comparison in the beauty of the originals with the repros... and that is usually true in every field, so we all fall prey to forgetting to assess the object in the context of the originals. Side by side if necessary. thx.

(And that's why we can get fooled. vanity or excitement takes over.)

Draft saved Draft deleted