Rhinestone brooch, earrings. Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by moreotherstuff, May 24, 2017.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The brooch is about 2 1/2" long.

z-a.jpg

z-b.jpg

z-c.jpg

z-d.jpg

z-e.jpg

z-f.jpg

komokwa and wenna like this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Well above average

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, quite dramatic in design. Anyone think there would have been a matching necklace at one time?

Debora

4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Nice set. All I can say they are no older than the mid 1950s because of the AB rhinestones, my feeling is more 1960s.

Look at these rhinestones, the prongs are coming up. Push them back down or you are going to loose the stones. Use something not too hard, you don't want the scratch the finish on the AB rhinestones :wideyed:

PinOpenProngs.jpg

wenna and judy like this.
  5. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

I like these too, it is a striking set and I bet there is a matching necklace somewhere. I noticed those prongs also (good eyes Marjie Forjan). Be CAREFUL moving them back into position!

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Used my fingernail to push the prongs back. I don't quite understand how they managed to get themselves open.

I thought those rhinestones-on-stalks might be a defining feature.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would think heading into the 1960s too.

Debora

8. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

The shape of the large stones might be more illuminating. All I can think of is 'shield' maybe? It is unusual. I am new to researching costume jewelry myself. If you can find the name of the shape you might narrow your search.

9. Marie Forjan

Good job! Those prongs can easily be snagged on sweaters or something like that.

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

"Shield" is how I think of those rhinestones as well, but I haven't searched it.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I suspect that the jewelry companies ordered their beads/rhinestones/stones from the same wholesalers, then used them in their designs.

What's going on with this earring?
    upload_2017-5-24_22-0-1.png

13. clutteredcloset49

I suppose the jewelry companies could probably custom order certain beads etc for certain designs.

14. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

It may have - but if worn "en suite" one would resemble nothing more than a pinball machine.................Evita Peron comes to mind....................

15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's a miniaturized radio transmitter/receiver that someone's glued onto the back. :angelic:

Actually... these are clip-on earrings and that clip broke. This is a glued-on replacement clip. First I've seen, but it looks like a production part, as opposed to somebody's one-off.

16. clutteredcloset49

I think you can buy those in craft stores.

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Odds on, yes. Those shield shape stones were used by lots of companies. Weiss used jobbers, so even with their signature it wouldn't help with the actual manufacturer. The stones were probably made in Czechoslovakia and imported by all and sundry. The replacement back on that earring looks almost as old as the earring does. So does that glue.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  18. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

19. Marie Forjan

AB rhinestones are rhinestones with a reflective finish called Aurora Borealis :)

20. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted