Rhinestone Brooch - who dunnit

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by moreotherstuff, May 28, 2014.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It’s about 2” tall, 1 ¾” across and looks to me like a clump of colorful pebbles with a couple bits of leaf mixed in. The biggest oval stones are about ¾” long. Any thoughts on who might have made it? I thought those “carved” rhinestones at the top might provide a clue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No clue. My best guess would be some random Austrian factory.

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Ah well... thanks for looking.

4. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Yup, I agree !

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think that this might be by Continental in Canada. Today, at the same place, I got a pair of earrings (not yet photographed) that are certainly "goes-with" at the very least. They are marked Continental.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The earrings. I like the way the gold-tone leaves are wire mounted. Their position can be adjusted. They can be made to "float" above the rhinestones:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the earrings and brooch together:

[​IMG]

7. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Bob, I think the earrings are a marriage to the pin. The purple marquise stones used in both are different, the earrings have faceted ones, the pin has smooth ones and there are multiprongs on the round purple earring stones, but 4 prongs on the round stones in the pin.

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Good points. And things I hadn't noticed. Thanks.

9. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I like the colors on the leaf shaped stones - I'm thinking they would be called molded glass? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :)

10. evelyb30

The leaf shape is molded glass, yes. It looks like AB or carnival glass finish too, but the angle makes it difficult to say which.

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'll try to get a better picture of that, but it won't be today.

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Here are more views of leaf-shaped stones. The one is flashier than my camera is capturing. I'd it's AB coated, but I'm open to being corrected.

JewellryPinBroochEarringContinentalCanadaPebbleClumpSet-y.jpg
    And since I'm asking: what about this little rectangular one? Moonstone?

JewellryPinBroochEarringContinentalCanadaPebbleClumpSet-z.jpg

13. evelyb30

That looks like a carnival glass finish, but that red leaf might be a two-tone. The white one almost looks like a catseye glass or a fiber optic. Dunno as it matters. People buy these for the "pretty".

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thanks for looking. What's the difference between AB and Carnival? Is the color of the underlying glass a determinant?

15. evelyb30

Not at all. Carnival glass and aurora borealis are two finishes applied to the surface of a piece of glass. What's underneath can be any color or none. Carnival glass has a much more pronounced rainbow effect - it can look like an oil/water slick in a parking lot, if that's any help.

16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm pretty sure it's a distinction I can't make. You make it sound like Carnival is more colorful, so if I call things AB maybe it will be a pleasant surprise if the buyer decides they're Carnival.

17. evelyb30

18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thanks for that. Based on that link, I'd have to go with AB for that molded stone. The color isn't as "fixed" as I might expect on a piece of carnival glass. It's more like a sheen.

Draft saved Draft deleted