Featured Rhinestone Earrings. Clips Marked STER. PAT 1967965: Original Assignee: Ballou & Co B A

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by lauragarnet, Aug 16, 2017.

1. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Sorry these are so grungy. I didn't give them a bath for glamor shots and the close-up lens magnifies all the crud to scary proportions.:nailbiting:
    142-JEWELRY-PICS-TUES-AUG-15-2017-ORIG.jpg I can find all kinds of info about the company that made the findings, because the clips are marked and the patent info was easy to find.
    161-JEWELRY-PICS-TUES-AUG-15-2017-900W.jpg
    STER. PAT 1967965
    Inventors: EUGENE MOREHOUSE. MELVIN W. MOORE.
    Original Assignee: Ballou & Co B A
    Publication date Jul 24, 1934
    Filing date Mar 30, 1934
    https://www.google.com/patents/US1967965

As far as I can tell, the STER. means sterling, not a maker's name/mark.
    161-JEWELRY-PICS-TUES-AUG-15-2017-ORIG-02.jpg US1967965-Rhinestone-Earrings-Clip-Patent-Ballou-03.jpg 149-JEWELRY-PICS-TUES-AUG-15-2017-ORIG.jpg 153-JEWELRY-PICS-TUES-AUG-15-2017-900W.jpg 143-JEWELRY-PICS-TUES-AUG-15-2017-ORIG.jpg 166-JEWELRY-PICS-TUES-AUG-15-2017-1000W.jpg I would guess that this style would have been popular 1930's thru early 1960's maybe. Want to find out what the joolies know and think.
    Is it possible to ID a designer or company that made these and pin down the time frame?
    Are they gold washed/vermeil?
    Thankyou!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    singing, Figtree3, judy and 1 other person like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Ballou made hardware for all sorts of companies, mostly in Rhode Island. These probably do date to the 30s or very early 50s, with those backs. I don't think there's any way to pin down whodunnit, except that they were most likely in Providence RI or North Attleboro, MA.

judy, Figtree3 and lauragarnet like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My class ring was made by Ballou made in 1954.:rolleyes:
    greg

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i would say the clip is sterling.....but would not vouch for the earring itself !

lauragarnet likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It might well be; if it is, those might be WWII era earrings. Silver wasn't a war material and they could get it. Brass was for war use and they couldn't.

singing and komokwa like this.
  6. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Though this was originally posted August 16, 2017 I thought it might be worth a try to bump it up again.
    It seems like we have a lot of super knowledgeable, hardcore jewelry people on the board now! :joyful::joyful:

judy likes this.
  7. Ginger Taliesin

Ginger Taliesin New Member

I too have a pair of sterling earrings with the patent # 1967965 with gorgeous clear red faceted stones in the shape of a flower. Came to this page through Google.

judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The earlier posts are from over 4 years ago.;)

judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  9. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

@Ginger Taliesin
    Is it possible that you could post pictures of your earrings? Someone might recognize the designer or company that originally made and sold them.

You could start your own thread or post in this one, whichever you prefer. I think it's highly likely that you'll get more looks and responses if you start your own thread though.

singing, Bakersgma and judy like this.
  10. Sister Golden Hair

Sister Golden Hair New Member

Wow!!! I never thought when I tried to find these strange little clip-on earrings that I would actually find anything close to them, but here you are.. Thank you. Wish that I could post a picture.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted