Rhinestone Pendant Brooch - pink,red,broken

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by moreotherstuff, Jun 4, 2014.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I've had this for a couple of months. It wasn't broken when I got it, but it was by the time I got it home. Yesterday, I tried to repair it - a solder repair. I thought I had succeeded. It was a small and unobtrusive repair and seemed solid. This morning I picked the brooch up and it fell apart again. So... 2 questions: who dunnit, and how do I fix it?

JewellryPinBroochPinkRedRhinestonesDanglePendant-a.jpg
    JewellryPinBroochPinkRedRhinestonesDanglePendant-b.jpg

2. Bridgets628

Bridgets628 Member

Juliana popped into my head at first glance. Its seems to have all the attributes. Its beautiful, I hope real jewely comes along to confirm and/or help.

spirit-of-shiloh and Linda like this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I assume you used lead/tin solder which is not all that strong. To get a better adhesion, use a little acid flux when resoldering. The old solder looks like it has some oxidation.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I used lead solder and flux. One of the problems is that the gold plating transfers the heat like crazy so it's difficult to concentrate the heat where you want it, and you certainly don't want to get the thing so hot that it either cracks the stones or all the solder melts at once and the thing falls to pieces.

I was hoping maybe Juliana. The Aged and Oppulent site does show pendant brooches with similar hooks but not this one. Doesn't matter unless I can get it fixed.

5. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Moreotherstuff that is really beautiful, I hope you can get it fixed. Your photos are always so wonderful too.:kiss:

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thank you for the compliment.

7. Linda

Linda New Member

Solderman has fixed a few of these in the past with really great results. When he has a minute I'll show him your piece and see if he can fix it. It's stunning!

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

9. Linda

Linda New Member

Rob says he believes he can fix this, but wouldn't know 100% until he has it in his paws. He would be more than happy to give it a whirl if you want!:)

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thanks for looking into it. How do I get in touch? I do not know this Rob.

11. Linda

Linda New Member

You might know me as morning*glorious*one from the Jewelry board. Rob is my manperson of 30 years and he has had much success soldering some of the pieces from the ladies over there. I fix and restore vintage jewelry. Or I used to. :joyful:

12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Solderman fixed a pin for me, he did a WONDERFUL job!!!!

Linda likes this.
  13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's on it's way, so I'll hope for the best.

Linda likes this.
  14. Linda

Linda New Member

Thanks Marie!:) And Bob, I'll take real good care of your brooch!:doctor: I'll let you know when it's in recovery....:nurse:

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  15. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Solderman fixed a D&E earring for me a while back, he did a great job.

Linda likes this.
  16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Probably take about 2 weeks to arrive. Very gracious of you to make the offer.

Linda likes this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's an inherently fragile design. I know what I'd do to it, but I'm used to messing with jump rings and the like. Let's hope the manperson can fix the poor thing. Otherwise, I'd use to large oval jump rings, hook them through the original and put them around the spots where the little red stones join the main pin together at the bottom, off to the sides of where it was hooked on originally. It wouldn't be perfect, sort of a swing instead of a dangle, but it could work. Spare chain bits might be OK too.

18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The parts involved are certainly tiny.

19. Linda

Linda New Member

The patient was received yesterday and is in pre-op. :doctor: His chances are looking pretty favorable.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  20. Linda

Linda New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted