Featured Rice Harvest painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by blooey, Oct 15, 2019.

1. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I've had this 20" x 28" oil on canvas in storage for a few years and never really identified the origin or the artist. I think my final call was that it was a Philippine painting, but I based that on the Spanish sounding artist's name (which I think is "P. Gregorio") and never really investigated it any further. The painting is signed lower left and dated 1951.
    Any other ideas on the origin or painter?

rice_field.jpg

sig_gregorio.jpg

judy, kyratango, Jivvy and 2 others like this.
  2. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

The signature reads P. Gregorie. Can't find nothing on the name though.

Christmasjoy and blooey like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The lady on the left, with the blue and yellow striped sarong, seems to be wearing a Cambodian krama scarf on her head, so my vote is for Cambodia.
    Those headscarves sre worn in Indonesia as well, but their textiles have different designs.

4. Any Jewelry

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Not "Gregorio"?

6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I found a couple of Philippine paintings with similar clothing, so I'm still thinking Philippines ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Well I did a bit more digging and as far as I can see this is almost certainly a Philippine painting of the "Amorsolo school".

Maybe that's good enough for the moment.

Christmasjoy, judy, aaroncab and 2 others like this.
  8. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Definitely Philippines, with the name Gregorio.

9. Any Jewelry

It even looks like the same cloth as the lady on the left on your painting, so it could be the same region. Great find!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  10. Any Jewelry

Uhm, it is also a Dutch-Indonesian name.:playful: When it comes to surnames in island and coastal SE Asia, all bets are off.;) For instance, Dutch-Indonesians commonly have Indonesian, Dutch, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, English, Scottish, Swedish, Chinese and even Ghanaian surnames.
    For centuries SE Asia was one of the major trade regions of the world, and what we would now call cosmopolitan. Marrying locals ensured good business contacts, and family relations with local nobility or translators, all important for a thriving trade, whatever your country of origin.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  11. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Ya, when I saw Gregorio I immediately thought of Gregorio Hilario del Pilar y Sempio.
    General during the Philippine American war.

judy, Any Jewelry and Jivvy like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

And painter in his spare time.:playful:

anundverkaufen and judy like this.
  13. Monmon298

Monmon298 Member

The man in red in the painting is wearing a sarong. Therebis something oddly not Filipino about the rest of the sleeve ofbthe woman bending over.

Draft saved Draft deleted