Richard Briggs Platters

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kraftblue, Jan 23, 2019.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Picked up 2 platters. I assume Richard Briggs was an importer? Seeing different things on Ebay. Can anyone date the mark?

brigg1.JPG brigg2.JPG brigg3.JPG

Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Kath!

Pieces that I remember having said the name of the manufacturer of the item with......."for Richard Briggs" Boston, Ma.

I always thought they were a department store.

See what others say.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Yup. Retailer in Boston. We had an inquiry about a Charles Lynde whose name showed up on a Copeland Spode set and found that Lynde had started his own business after spending 25 years with Richard Briggs.

4. kraftblue

Thanks Judy and Bakersgma.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Here are a couple of small ads from Boston Symphony Orchestra concert programs. The first is from the 1927-28 season, the one that starts "Orrefors" is from 1936-37:
    img0 (2).jpg
    The company obviously moved from 32 Newbury St to 115 Newbury Street sometime between those years, and perhaps changed the company name(?)

Briggs is an old name in New England. (I don't know if they were Mayflower or just after, but they were in MA early on.) Note that the first store ad shown says established 1798. (I'm sure more info is out there, both genealogical & historical, with some digging into Boston history.)

Briggs was also mentioned (I don't know if it was "paid advertising") in the Boston Blue Book. This is the copy from the 1929 edition:

SINCE 1798 Boston has
    associated the name
    Richard Briggs with the
    finest of China and Glass.

For the convenience of
    our down town customers
    we have opened a branch
    store at 68 School Street
    (Parker House)

A beautiful collection of
    Service Plates
    Table Decorations in Glass
    Electric Lamps

RICHARD BRIGGS, Inc.
    32 Newbury St., Boston

Again, I imagine some digging would turn up tons more info.

ads/info shown from:
    http://worldcat.org/digitalarchive/...SVolume4/Pub411_1927-1928_BSO_FriSat_Wk09.pdf
    https://archive.org/stream/bostonbluebookco1929bost/bostonbluebookco1929bost_djvu.txt

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  6. kraftblue

Thanks SBSVC

SBSVC and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. JB Miller

JB Miller Well-Known Member

I have a Royal Crown Derby item from 1879 with the same buckle mark. I've seen that mark on items mostly from the 1870's and 1880's.

judy likes this.
  8. Susan Briggs

Susan Briggs New Member

9. Susan Briggs

Susan Briggs New Member

To add a little history on the name Briggs, There were two Briggs that arrived in Boston about 1630, both from England. They may have been related but much further back in England than I’ve found. From these two men came all other Briggs in the US it is told. One founded Portsmouth RI with 27 other Bostonians who left mostly due to religious reasons, My ancestor, John Briggs. Ancestors are found in Little Compton, Westport and Dartmouth. This line is also associated with Lizzy Borden and the Cornell’s. Anyway, I am researching to see if there is a relation to this Richard Briggs, Glass and Pottery Merchant in Boston in 1890’s. It’s a common name in both families unfortunately. The other Briggs left Boston for Plymouth and Cape Cod. The other Briggs are generally from this family line.
    Any info you have about Richard would be welcomed. Birth and death, residence etc.
    Richard Briggs Company was also on Washington St. Boston in the late 1800’s.

Draft saved Draft deleted