Featured RICHARD VOLPE ETCHING/PRINT "VANISHING"

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Oct 7, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

This is another piece of art I got at a local thrift store Sat. It appears to have been a Christmas present to someone in 1977.

I googled - Richard Volpe artist 'Vanishing' signed- and found another example but it described it as:
    Limited edition Lucite engraving; but mine appears to be on paper & I can't tell from the script writing if it's a limited edition.

What is a Lucite engraving? Is mine that?
    Can anyone read the writing on the bottom to tell if it's a limited edition or a open edition?

As always, I appreciate everyone's help!

AA ART PRINT VOLPE 1A.jpg

AA ART PRINT VOLPE 2AA.jpg AA ART PRINT VOLPE 3AA.jpg AA ART PRINT VOLPE 4AA.jpg

2. journeymagazine

Christmas gift from 1979 not 1977 - saw it better once posted & larger; sorry!

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Still enjoyed seeing it.:)

4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

"lucite engraving" means the plates used to make the prints were made out of lucite. Exact material used in a plate is not something easily determined.

It's marked as an artist's proof (A/P) and it's number 9 of 10 copies (IX/X). The "C 2" likely means it's the second print (eg 2/100) in the third edition (A and B being the first two editions).

(minor edits for clarification)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Pat P, cxgirl, Christmasjoy and 7 others like this.
  5. journeymagazine

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Oscar Salzer was a collector and gallery operator in Los Angeles. There's a catalog of his collection: Portraits of Objects, Oscar and Maria Salzer Collection of Still Life and Trompe-L'Oeil Paintings, Fresno 1984.

I don't think this is connected to that collection, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a gift from that person.

Draft saved Draft deleted