Featured Rid of musty smell in flatware chest? What wood is this?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by spartcom5, Jun 26, 2019.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I bought a beautiful flatware chest a while ago. It is made by Wallace for Sterling flatware. However, the inside is quite musty smelling. Not mold or anything as it is very very clean and in good shape overall apart from some scratches on top. I tried airing it outside but to no avail. Is there something I can do to make it smell better? I tried vacuuming it and that did nothing as well. Thanks for any help!
    20160530_181439_resized.jpg 20160530_181648_resized.jpg

2. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Maybe try Ozonium, it comes in an aerosol can. You can pick it up at any good auto parts store for a couple a bucks

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Spartcom, what has worked for me for musty boxes AND musty papers is plain old clay kitty litter - NOT the clumping or scented stuff, just the plain clay kind.

I use those little organza gift bags (like the one shown below) and fill them with the litter, then close them inside the box. One or two in each compartment or drawer, left for a week or 10 days (or longer, if needed) usually does the trick.

img0 (228).jpg

I've even closed smelly cards and letters inside a plastic shoe box with a couple of these, and it has worked quite well.

Figtree3, Aquitaine, cxgirl and 8 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I use (washing) soda crystals. Just put them in a small bowl inside the box, they will absorb the smell.:)

As far as I know, those spray things just mask the smell with another, and you're left with a rather nasty chemical smell.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That clay cat litter works really well. I'd put a layer straight on to the bottom and leave it for a while.

Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  6. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Don't just take it outside, but put it in direct summer sun for a few days. That has worked for me.

Figtree3, Jivvy and Aquitaine like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Wood looks to be mahogany

8. AmericanGeode

AmericanGeode Well-Known Member

I have also rid a piece of musty mysterious smell by using the power of the sun.

9. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

sun or baking soda has worked for me even on some smoke smells in wood. I have heard putting a container with vinegar can work but never tried it.

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@spartcom5 , I hope you'll post later to say what you tried and what worked!

11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

1956 ad:

wallace_ad_flatware_1956-2.jpg

~Cheryl

Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted