RIGHT,for my first trick..er..question....

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Danwen87, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Danwen87

Danwen87 New Member

Smalljug1.jpg smalljug2.jpg We have a number of plated nickle silver items , however...my late grandmother in law felt a need to polish everything repeatedly..meaning some of theese have had damage...this one just is an example of her over zealous cleaning i THINK. , can anyone tell me if there is ANY way of bringing theese to a reasonable value? without doing the chemical process myself? this one jug is an example but i have many items that she has polished just as hard hehe :)

also any info AT ALL about this paticular jug would be welcome thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2021
    judy, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I will tag a knowledgeable member for you. @Bakersgma , can you help?:)

Meantime, @Danwen87 , could you go back to 'edit' and click on the 'full image' button for full size photos?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    judy, i need help, Lucille.b and 3 others like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, Danwen87. By "bringing these to a reasonable value" do you mean replating?

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

These days in my area, silverplate is sold to scrapyards by the pound or was the last I looked.

judy and i need help like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

judy and Danwen87 like this.
  6. Danwen87

Danwen87 New Member

AH sorry i got confused what my husband was asking lol, i think he means replating, if thats what it needs.

judy likes this.
  7. Danwen87

Danwen87 New Member

judy likes this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    no use in replating. 2 HP mark may read as "two layers Hotel silver plate" for hotels, ships etc. and would already cost an arm and a leg to prepare for replating.

Danwen87 and judy like this.
  9. evelyb30

Hotel plate generally isn't worth the effort, and railroad plate is in the Don't Mess With category. Replating actually would lower the value for railroad collectors.

Danwen87 likes this.
  10. Danwen87

Danwen87 New Member

Ooh i was trying to find out what the HP was, bit of a needle in a haystack, ive got the silvercollection page bookmarked though. ...hey does that mean my grandmother in law may have...aquired..the jug through slightly naughty means? :O lol. thatll be a new one for the family :). it does have an 'L' engraved on the side...i just spotted that yesterday.

11. Danwen87

Danwen87 New Member

I dont suppose you know if i can tell the difference ? theres no company name except the makers ..and now ive seen an L on the side...

12. Danwen87

Danwen87 New Member

SMALL UPDATE

Dont know how i missed it...but i just spotted this one the other side of the jug..does that help with anymore info? thanks :) smalljug3.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

komokwa, judy and Fid like this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Elarna,
    My nephew was 7 years old when he painted his grandmothers silver plate tea service. I put in my yard sale and a Danish couple went crazy for it. I do not know if they thought it was Sterling or not but they paid 12 dollars for it/
    greg

elarnia and judy like this.
  15. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

16. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more! Yikes, worse than ugly painted furniture. :yuck:

Bakersgma likes this.
  17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

The letter is likely the owners initial. If it’s hotel ware, it could be the Hotel or restaurant logo.

komokwa likes this.
  18. evelyb30

Railroad is isn't. Most railroads except the cheapskates put their logo on their pieces. Usually right out in plain sight. This was to promote the railroad and lessen the chances of a piece growing legs and walking off. Didn't work. The OP's L is as stated most likely a hotel or restaurant.

And I almost like that, in an Alice in Wonderland meets Betsey Johnson kind of way. Or maybe Willy Wonka.

elarnia likes this.
  19. Danwen87

Danwen87 New Member

OK...i actualy like this alice in wonderland theme, and to be honest this is all silver plated, its not got much of a value beyond sentiment which while cool is not to everyones taste. taking this theme means it will sell to many folk who like to stage alice in wonderland themed teaparties, which are more common than you think ^.^
    isnt it better to upcycle and to sell to those who will love the item? :)

20. Danwen87

Danwen87 New Member