Right lets start again.... Hi Pleased to meet you all

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Richard Porter, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Richard Porter

Richard Porter Active Member

My Name is Richard and I am from Yorkshire. I have been collecting antiques for about four years from antique fairs mainly but also from private sellers. We started off collecting paperweights ( mainly Scottish ) but we do have one or two more unusual ones. We then moved on to our great love which are Netsuke. Its a minefield out there when it comes to these objects and we made one or two silly buys. I am glad to say I now own pretty much every reference book out there regarding Netsuke including the two volumes of Lazarnick which are the bible when it comes to collecting. We both also love Art Deco and have several Bronzes which I am happy to post pictures of if anyone is interested. The most recent purchase and one of my all time favourites is the alabaster Art Deco Italian Nude which I find myself smiling at every time I pass. I am more than happy to help anyone with opinions regarding Netsuke as I am starting to build a fair bit of knowledge in this area, Cant read Japanese yet !!!

Thanks for accepting me into the group. I hope I can offer some input and become a valued member

Richard

2. AJefferson

AJefferson Well-Known Member

Been there, done that quite a few times.

Welcome Richard.:)

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Richard.
    Silly buys are part of learning, I think we have all been there.

I collected netsuke in the 70s and 80s, but stopped after I closed my Asian antiques shop due to health issues. I still have some lovely ones, including a signed ivory baku by Tomokazu, my favourite.
    Since our Japanese memebers have gone awol, we are looking for someone who can read Japanese, so if you ever feel like taking a course.....;)

4. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Greetings, Richard! :) Welcome to the forum!

I have a shelf or two of silly buys ... just sitting there to remind me to never buy the same again.

Once you're all settled in here I'd like to pick your brain about my one lone netsuke and a signed netsuke-like bead ... if you don't mind.

Would love to see your Art Deco bronzes ... I'm sure others would, too!

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, Richard! :)

6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Welcome. Would love to see the bronzes, too. :happy:

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME, Richard! We have the sum total of 2 netsukes and don't know if they're authentic or not! Maybe you can help me there!!!!

8. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

9. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

Welcome Richard! I have always been fascinated with netsukes but I knew enough to know I didn't know enough to buy one!!! I look forward to your insight into the subject!

10. Richard Porter

Happy to have a look

11. Richard Porter

99% are fake. It’s a mine field

12. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Welcome Richard,cant wait to see some of your finds.

13. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Welcome aboard....

judy, Lucille.b, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  16. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!

17. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

These go for me too. At a certain point I realized I love just little carved things. Before it was cameos it was Zuni carvings. If I could afford & the expertise to buy wisely, I would easily become a collector of netsuke/ojime.

I actually bought a whole bunch of the Chinese boxwood ojime, knowing they were knockoffs, because I loved the creativity & whimsy of the designs. Realized after a bit that I could pick out from a jumble the work of one particular carver whose carving was better than most & who had a tendency to add some little humorous touch of his own not present on others of the same design. I was buying them in a bead store that happened to have a Japanese clerk, who kindly transliterated names for me.

18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Collecting is a dirty job, but somebody has to do it.

19. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Richard !! .. Joy. :)

20. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Welcome!
    I like netsuke, and have one or two, not of great quality but I found them attractive.

Draft saved Draft deleted