Ring and Scarab necklace stone ID

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Jun 21, 2019.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Any idea what these stones are please?
    Scarab necklace looks to have a chalky surface which isn’t visible when rubbed with a damp cloth but reappear s when dry. Strung on linen cord with no clasp. Looks slightly 70s touristy.
    I’d love any thoughts on the ring- obviously base metals but what is the stone?. Is it old or just souvenir trying to be?. Not sure if the band is original or a later repair.
    Thankyou :)
    21098827-0AFE-406B-85F7-88079216E451.jpeg 6163487C-1206-43FD-8118-3EA00BAD7B1B.jpeg 98A2FACB-AED9-49B1-8D5F-ADB2D9EDB9E7.jpeg 8A511937-1B47-46CC-B05F-3199CBE53D8E.jpeg C53D8839-1220-4849-9E13-67F3E6077C08.jpeg E7DB19D5-99B3-4D1D-9CE9-6A69D5E82DE1.jpeg

kyratango likes this.
  2. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

My WAG on the white scarabs would be alabaster. Late '70's or early '80's would coincide with the North American tour of King Tut artifacts and the interest in all things Egyptian at that time.

A cotton swab dipped in lemon juice or vinegar would remove the verdigris that has built up on the setting of your ring. No idea of the stone on ring.

Christmasjoy, KSW and kyratango like this.
  3. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I know someone is going to explain just how wrong I am, but I smell Renfaire on that ring.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and KSW like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's too old for Rennfaire, but you could wear it there and not look out of place. The stone is class, probably 1950s/1960s. I'd call calcite on the necklace; the Egyptians used a ton of it for canopic jars and small statuary back in the day. It's a very soft stone and I'm betting they're still using it to this day.

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Is that a typo for glass?

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  6. evelyb30

Yep. High class glass.(LOL)

Christmasjoy, kyratango and KSW like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

This seller thinks Jade- does Jade ever look like this?
    IMG_4536.PNG

8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it's high class :hilarious:

kyratango likes this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Googled but not helpful. How old is rennfaire and what sort of age are we talking for the ring if it's older?. Thankyou for your help, I love the research even if it's asking you which is cheating a bit!

10. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Renaissance faire has been around since the 60's...……… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Pleasure_Faire_of_Southern_California

Christmasjoy, Jivvy and kyratango like this.
  11. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Any Jewelry, Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I didn't think so. Of all the things it could be Jade didn't occur to me!

13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. evelyb30

It blew up here in the 1980s, thanks to the Society for Creative Anachronism.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry, Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'd go steatite (soapstone) on the scarabs. Is the stone in the ring sort of flat on top or just catching the light funny? Could be jasper, but glass at least as likely.

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  17. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

This is a very popular necklace construction. Most of the time, I'm getting the soapstone vibe. But not always.

Sadly, I do not remember enough about the Tut Tour to know if these are based on a known piece. I didn't get to visit the exhibit, but my aunt did and she brought me a book (long since gone, but I remember being enchanted by the photos).
    pixlr_20190621214520906.jpg

Christmasjoy, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

The ring glass/stone is a cabochon. Looking into it with a loupe I'm inclined to agree glass but I'm really intrigued as to if the band is original and when it was made. The main part of the ring looks very old and the solder looks newer but if it's a replacement band maybe that's why.

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  19. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

A wealth of scarab necklaces!

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Who stole my necklace? This is mine. I reckon they're early 80s, there was a Thing for them.

X19.jpg X19a.jpg

Any Jewelry, KSW, kyratango and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted