Featured Ring haul! My biggest diamond yet!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Mar 30, 2018.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Picked up 4 rings today for $180. Gotta say these are stunning. Most were up for scrap but I picked them up before that could happen.

The first ring is by far the oldest, marked 8ct, missing one diamond, mine cut diamonds. Fairly worn but all the diamonds are intact and seem like they are firmly in place. I currently have the ring at my estate jeweler and we picked out a similar mine cut diamond to fill the hole. I am thinking 1800s for this ring.
    20180330_171720_resized.jpg 20180330_171755_resized.jpg 20180330_171810_resized.jpg 20180330_171823_resized.jpg
    The next ring is a jaw dropper. 18k white gold with a 1/4ct diamond, mine cut. Currently my plan is to find another diamond to complete the piece. It is by far the biggest diamond I have and it is stunning. Not sure on the clarity. The gold setting seems to be in good condition still, the prongs where the diamond were are gone but still. Hopefully this ring will come together one day even though it will be pricey. 1920s piece.
    20180330_183505_resized.jpg 20180330_183520_resized.jpg 20180330_183531_resized.jpg 20180330_183548_resized.jpg

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The ring with the large stone was bead set,there were no prongs.The area of the missing stone was gouged out to remove the stone.

Any Jewelry, judy and kyratango like this.
  3. spartcom5

Interesting holly. Is this something that can still be done today? As in I find a diamond and they can set it in and it looks identical? I was thinking about maybe taking the diamond out and find a nice hefty gold setting for it but I would first try to revive the piece as is.

judy and kyratango like this.
  4. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

I can see some small carbon spots in the 2nd diamond ring, but the color looks good. Hard to tell from a picture though.

kyratango likes this.
  5. Hollyblue

The process is called bead and bright-cut setting.It is still being done today but could be expensive on your ring to repair the damage.It would probably require removing the top plate and laser welding a piece of metal to the damaged area.

http://www.professionaljeweler.com/archives/articles/2003/oct03/1003pb1.html

Any Jewelry, judy and kyratango like this.
  6. spartcom5

The carbon spots may indeed be dirt, haven't cleaned it up and the gunk is thick. Thanks holly for the info, I'll see what kind of a quote I can get from my jeweler. Finally can anyone date the first ring at all? Would 1850-1900 be a good assumption?

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would put a blue sapphire where the one is missing on the Deco ring. Then it would look like Napoleon's engagement ring.
    greg

8. Hollyblue

The first ring is nearly impossible to date,the style has been around for probably a hundred years,the diamonds could have been parent's/grand parent's.Maybe track down how long 8k gold has been used,but may not help.

Draft saved Draft deleted