Featured Ripley or Tiffin Apothecary Jar

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chris1948, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

My wife found it in a thrift shop. It's 11 1/2" high and the width without the lid is 4 3/4". As you can see in the photo of the bottom it only has the single mold line. From another site I was able to find out that it's a reproduction of the 'Mascotte' pattern by Ripley possibly by Tiffin however in searching I can't find a pattern name or number for Tiffin. Anyone with any suggestions?
    DSC08205.JPG DSC08204.JPG DSC08206.JPG

2. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Ripley joined/became part of the U.S. Glass Co. combine and the Mascotte pattern was continued by USG, which many years later became the company named Tiffin due to the Tiffin, Ohio factory location. As a continued pattern of an owned 'subsidiary' there was no need for another name; and the pattern would not be considered a reproduction.

3. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

Great! Thank you very much. Now I can tag it as a Tiffin Mascotte pattern. Is there any estimate as to around what year this was produced?

4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Heacock 7 has dates as 1888-1895

5. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

Thanks, this looks brand new.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

glass lasts a long time...........nice find !!

Chris1948 likes this.
  7. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Ripley ceased operations 1891, Tiffin wasn't called that until the late 20's. If Tiffin produced this it was in the '50s, and that is possible.

Chris1948 likes this.
  8. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

Thank you, unless I hear otherwise I'll use the 50's as the date. Something I just noticed. I'm at the Kovels site looking for the Mascotte pattern under Tiffin and it doesn't seem to exist. Am I even searching for the correct pattern name?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  9. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Yes right name. Cherryhill said if not did. Riely and Jenks say Tiffin produced covered jars which were unmarked. Measurements and capacity would help with your id. Because original molds would have been used it may not be able to tell old from Tiffin.

Chris1948 likes this.
  10. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

It's 11 1/2" high and the width without the lid is 4 3/4". How would I measure capacity? Fill it with water and see how much it holds?

11. George Nesmith

That is is the only way I use.

Chris1948 likes this.
  12. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

30oz of water

13. George Nesmith

I would call it Tiffin's 2 pint bulbous jar based on what I see in the book. Volumns were often approximate. This would be the 1950s production.

Chris1948 and dgbjwc like this.
  14. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

Thanks George now I can make my tag for it and add to my database. Much appreciated.

Draft saved Draft deleted