Featured Robert E. Lee Portrait Discovery

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by The Marshall House, Aug 15, 2017.

1. The Marshall House

The Marshall House The home of General George C. Marshall

Hi all! After conversing with Marshall's grandchildren, researching our restoration plans, and much more, we have decided to add a portrait of Robert E. Lee to General Marshall's library. Based on photographs and oral histories, we have sufficient evidence of Lee's portrait being hung in the library and, therefore, we are recreating said portrait.

The photographs we have posted show Lee's portrait (in red square) but the actual photo belonging to Marshall is missing. We need your help to find the right photo! We would like to find the exact one shown in the images we provided and, if found, frame and hang it. Any help you can give towards finding this photo would help!

Note: The photo could be a photo of a portrait as well. Marshall was known to cut things he liked from magazines and frame them as well.

Because the photos we posted are copyrighted, we have provided a link to the high resolution version. Use the blue magnifying glass to zoom in to get a closer look at the portrait on the back right wall of the library, hanging above Marshall's head.

Link: https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/beta/asset/general-marshall-at-leesburg/ZgEBOQ7drTWFeA

InkedMarshalls in Library 2 - Copy_LI.jpg Inked2017-08-15 (1)_LI.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

judy, Christmasjoy and lauragarnet like this.
  3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

It may sound like I'm being sarcastic but I'm not. After you go to all the trouble to find the correct image and hang it, the groups who are now toppling Confederate statues may either destroy it where it hangs or take your organization to court to remove it. I think it is pretty sad. Before it actually started happening, I wouldn't have believed such a movement could occur in the US.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What is currently (and at long last) occurring is a national movement to remove Jim Crow monuments from public lands. The restoration of a private library to historical accuracy is quite a thing apart.

Debora

komokwa, aaroncab, SeaGoat and 2 others like this.
  5. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Wasn't Marshall a Lee descendant (Stafford Hall branch) on his maternal side? Or am I way off again?

I can remember horse and dog pedigrees better than human ones these days...........

EDIT: Or do I mean the Stratford Hall branch???????????

6. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Marshall-House-Figurines-on-Shelf.jpg
    Are you going to be researching the figurines on the bookshelf at all? That would be fun.:joyful::angelic::rolleyes:

kyratango and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

If it helps, it looks like the general also had a portrait behind him:
    upload_2017-8-16_11-25-51.jpeg

Ghopper1924 and lauragarnet like this.
  8. The Marshall House

We are aware of the current status of Confederate history and the movement against it. We already have two other pictures of Lee in the house and have had no issue thus far. To be clear: we will never hide or destroy a piece of history.

9. The Marshall House

We think that's the glare from a frame across the room.

10. The Marshall House

We have some of Marshall's original figurines displayed today! But sadly, because of the long history of the house after the Marshall's, most of the original figurines have gone missing.

11. The Marshall House

12. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

You do indeed mean Stratford.

bobsyouruncle likes this.
  13. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

14. lauragarnet

It's looking more and more everyday like you'll need to fight to the death to keep that vow and adhere to that valid principle.

cxgirl, bobsyouruncle and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Angle doesn't help in trying to identify but... try this one.

Debora

Forum Lee.jpg

lauragarnet likes this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

17. lauragarnet

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Darn, the jacket is buttoned in that photo Debora, as compared to the portrait on the wall, the jacket is open.

18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You're right (and your eyes are better than mine.)

Debora

19. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The one Kronos posted the link to is the closest I've seen (and I went through the Google image search at least 3 times last night.)

Unbuttoned coat, bushier than most beard, arms at his sides, triangular black "tie" just below the beard.

lauragarnet and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree.

lauragarnet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted