Rockford secretary desk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Gman74, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Gman74

Gman74 New Member

7683AC65-37D9-449A-BB55-B945C17109E7.jpeg hello! I know absolutely nothing about antiques but find them interesting. I picked this secretary desk up yesterday at an estate sale for $75. It has a tag inside says it was made by the Rockford Desk Company. I don’t want to sell this desk for profit etc as we plan on using it. Just want to know if I got a decent deal at $75. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

F64BB58E-25A0-45A0-AE05-B8D1B643E31C.jpeg
    Checking Full size for all images makes it easier to view.

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Gman!

I think you got a nice desk for $75.

4. Gman74

Gman74 New Member

Also I wonder about age on it?

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

40s-50s. What kind of modern desk could you buy for $75.00 that is as good as this?

6. Gman74

Gman74 New Member

Very true! Thanks for the feedback!

judy and i need help like this.
  7. Annee Silver

Annee Silver New Member

Hi, I just got a similar one. When I removed the patina on the handle I saw it was dated 1855. The Rockford furniture company existed 1880 and mine was produced around then based on the date on the furniture. I think yours is way older than 1940-1950 and in fact this price of furniture is worth 800. On another forum that is what an antiques dealer has places the worth at.

8. Annee Silver

Annee Silver New Member

3D2BB2AB-5F58-41C7-AF69-CD71B8276429.jpeg 19A5DB0E-3C51-4FAD-9547-2DD6229D114F.jpeg Notice the date on the bronze after removing the patina. Remove your patina and check the date on the drawers. A 48 hour lemon bath will help. Then a toothbrush and baking soda. This is a photo of mine but no handles as the handles are in a lemon bath soaking.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2021
  9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

komokwa, Ghopper1924 and Bakersgma like this.
  10. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

AS Brad said. Very nice piece, but the hinges, the veneers, the style, all points to one of those revival fads. Never heard of a date of manufacture stamped on original hardware, that sounds more like when patents came into play. Also very nice bureau, btw. As to the desirability of removing patina and polishing, opinions are very much divided.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  11. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yes, late 1940s. Would benefit from some Howard's Restore-a-Finish. Not a bad deal for $75, but with some Howard's and some elbow grease you could notch the $ value - as well as the appearance - up a bit.

Fern77 and komokwa like this.
  12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Your desk does look a bit older than the Op's but likely not more than a decade. As others said, the number is likely a part number and not a date. While you may like the polished look of the hardware, most people do not and you have likely devalued your piece. Take asking prices for furniture on the internet with a grain of salt. Most sellers are fishing for buyers with more money than brains and willing to pay for convenience. Also, asking price is not selling price. I can pick up desks like this for under $100 without much effort.

BoudiccaJones, Fern77 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted