Featured Rococo Revival? Barrel Chair & Love Seat. Traveled with Circus

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by AskChief, Jul 5, 2020.

1. AskChief

AskChief New Member

Recently purchased this set (Love seat not shown, but matches). I was told that this set traveled with the Ringling Brothers Circus owned by a clown and magician duo. Nothing to prove this though unfortunately. I have not been able to find another set to even reference these to.

Any information at all would be appreciated. Age, Era, Value, anything, etc...

Thanks!

20200703_131359 2.jpg 20200703_131427 2.jpg

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Cool tub chair, late 19th early 20thc, Art Nouveau-ey/Gustave Moreau influence on the gals on the arms, well worth fixing up and the circus yarn doesn't hurt either.

judy, lloyd249, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

You can use it to reweave the seat. Welcome, AskChief. We get silly sometimes. Cool chair.

judy, blooey, lloyd249 and 4 others like this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

These "tub" or "bucket"-type chairs are usually associated with turn-of-the-20th century late Victorian classicism. In your case you have unique, specially decorated chairs. BTW, I believe the circus story.

Anyway, If you strip away the decorative goodies on these, you get nice oak chairs typical of their time. It's the decoration that really makes the look. I would call these unique circus-related novelty chairs.

Draft saved Draft deleted