Rolex Oyster Perpetual Quartz Ladies Watch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, May 21, 2014.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

2014-05-21 14.21.55 (480x640).jpg In a box of stuff. The man was a doctor, so it might be the real deal. There was a period of time in the 70s when Rolex used Japanese movements. There are just so many watches out there I scrolled through and did not find this one. Any way to tell if it's real? I guess I can bring it to my local jeweler and he'd probably tell me. There are no marks on the band which makes me suspicious whether it's gold.

2014-05-21 14.36.46 (480x640).jpg

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Does the winder knob have the Rolex crown on it?

The greenish patina doesn't bode well for gold.

I'd ask a good jeweler to check it out. It's very pretty and I've seen this exact same watch advertised (on ebay) as 18k gold before. As there is nothing for scale, are you sure this is not a woman's watch? <--That's how I've seen it listed and it may still be for sale on ebay?

3. antidiem

I know NOTHING about Rolex watches. Bev, why do you call it "Oyster"?
    Is it the face? That looks gold to me from my monitor screen.

4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

It says "Rolex Oyster Perpetual" under the crown. In the middle it says "Quartz" and at the bottom is says "Japan Mov't"

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's prettier than most Rolex watches I'm seeing online while searching for this one. Not helpful, but that is all I have.

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I've read about fake Rolexes and since I can't find this one on any of the sites I've checked, I'm wondering. I am positive the diamonds are real. I'll try and get to my local jeweler. We were at this house from 7:30 am until 6:15 tonight helping them empty it. While I was taking clothing to the thrift for them, a rival dealer showed up with two pickups and had most of the stuff corralled before I got back. Darn. She got a lot of junk I wouldn't have wanted anyway - 1950s rock maple furniture, half-stripped bureaus. She did get an awesome silver and crystal condiment set that I should have grabbed before I did my good deed.

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

It isn't green. That's just the camera

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I must say the Jewelry board on Feebay isn't helpful. I posted this question and one about a Napier necklace & earring set and got no responses at all. :(

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Hi Thelma,

My first post here, nice to see some familiar faces. Thanks Dave for setting this up.

Thelma, Re:Napier, just saw the post, I'll try to add some thoughts. I think it is a newer (1980's or more recent) set so people don't really know all the different ones Napier put out to advise, which is why you might not be hearing back. I find the Jewelry Board (costume, not fine) to be super active, so don't give up. As for the Rolex I think the key is going to be if the band tests as gold. You might post on Watches/Timepieces but I think it will come down to the metal content on the band. Best of luck with it!

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

We spent two days cleaning out a house for a man who had been a family friend, taking garbage to the dump, getting rid of broken stuff. The day we came back to get the GOOD stuff, the neighbors had called a local picker. She showed up with a pickup truck and three helpers and had loaded all the really nice stuff already. We helplessly looked on. The children of the man who passed away came from out of state and didn't know us or her. They just shrugged and said they needed it done in a hurry. So much for loyalty after we did the dirty work. I am hoping that at least a few of the things we found before the dealer showed up will net us some kind of profit. I was especially disheartened that they told me I couldn't go in the house, yet she was in there grabbing glassware from the dining room.

11. antidiem

I believe this to be the real deal Rolex and even in your photo with something reflecting on the band - IT LOOKS LIKE GOLD GOLD TO ME!

Bev, I'm so sorry this job went down the way it did for you. I know something good will come your way as a result of your good deeds. Remember: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

I have a gift, I call it "my knowings" and I know you did the right thing. I'm proud of you.
    XOXOXOX

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  12. Lucille.b

Thelma, I can imagine the scenario and feel your pain. That just stinks! But agreeing with Anti, what goes around comes around -- in good ways. I should think that if the Rolex is authentic, it would be a start! Finger's crossed!

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Thanks, Anti. There is some good news. I really wanted a glider in the back yard. No hope of affording one. The picker didn't get around to the back yard. My son just came home with a used, but good, glider. :) Mrs. Claus will be happy this summer.

14. Figtree3

Oh, a glider -- that sounds great! Can you post a picture of it some time? I hadn't thought of getting one, but this gave me an idea.

15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

This is off the internet - NOT my house! LOL. But this is the glider. I even have outdoor cushions from a wicker set we got rid of and the loveseat ones fit perfectly.

Attached Files:

16. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

17. Figtree3

Then it was meant to be! (Because of the cushions, I mean.)

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  18. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Bev, here's an eBay guide on spotting fake Rolex watches. I thought the test of the glass was good. It seems Rolex uses "true sapphire crystal" while fakes use plain glass. A wet smear on the crystal "will pull together on sapphire because the surface is smooth." Also how the serial number looks is a good test also.
    http://www.ebay.com/gds/HOW-TO-SPOT-A-FAKE-ROLEX-/10000000006718660/g.html

--- Susan

19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I can't get the back off. It's probably not been opened in years.

20. Lucille.b

Bev, ID-ing these Rolex watches is a real learning curve. And removing the back is non-trivial. I am no expert, but picked up a Rolex a few months ago in a mixed bag of jewelry at an estate, and went through much of what you are going through. How to get the back off? With mine, could not see how to do it, so went to Youtube and here I found someone selling a machine that removes the back. It is not straight forward. And if you have a real Rolex, you certainly don't want to damage it by doing it wrong.

Is there anyone who can test the metal content of the band? If that comes back as gold, I believe that means it is real --can't imagine there were copies made in 14k or 18k. Alternatively you might check the diamonds. I think that would be the most efficient way to begin. Numbers can be copied, these fakes were elaborate and information about how to determine what is and isn't authentic is all over the map. Best of luck!

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted