(Roman?) coins in shadow box...

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Purchased in the early 60's from Marshall Fields, original Fields price tag still on the back, $31.

These were at my parent's house, we're going through some items and I would not have given them a 2nd look, but got a tiny bit curious why they would have been $31 in the early 60's, a bit more expensive that I would have thought. So took a look at the coins, which I assume are copies of Roman coins. The only thing odd is that each coin has a wooden border, and on the base of the wooden border, only visible if you turn the small shadow box on its side, are some numbers written, not consecutive. Would these have been taken from some kind of game or set for presentation? Thanks for taking a look.

co1.jpg co2.jpg co3.jpg co4.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

They used to sell sets of these as tourist souveniers during the Grand Tour,I want to say " intaglios" ?

KingofThings likes this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Oh go ahead....... :)

4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I think intaglio is carved into the surface, cameo is raised above the surface :)

KingofThings likes this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Yes vs relief.

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The one I can see clearly is not a coin. They do have an element of the grand tour souvenir about them, possibly recast for the shop that made up the sets as I doubt they would make only a few of these sets.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice wall hanger.....though...

8. Lucille.b

Thanks all. This will probably sell at the estate sale for $20 or less, no huge value beyond decorative, right?

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

or so it would seem.....

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

They may be plaster or wax impressions from engraved gems. Such things were, and are, collected. Have you image searched them?

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Lucille.b,
    Before you just let them go for very little, I would check them out at a meaningful gallery.....a LOT can change for prices in 55 years!!!! I was poking around on the internet and this link looked like it might provide you with some info. They may not be worth more, but from my own experience, it's definitely worth checking them out!!!! Second link is their email. GOOD LUCK!!! Let us know if you can, huh???? Sue
    http://www.sadighgallery.com/
    info@sadighgallery.com

cxgirl likes this.
  12. Lucille.b

Thanks, I'll take a look at the site. Also I've never used the image searcher, might look into that, thanks.

The only thing that got me interested in these were the following points.

1)Were they something special since priced at $31 in 1963? (Google inflation calculator puts that at a retail price of $240 in today's dollars)

2) The numbers written on the base of the tiny stretched wooden or paper composite border have an older feel to my eye. The numbers themselves, -the way they are written, slightly slanted like from a fountain pen or something. The numbers, if I had to guess, remind me of penmanship from 100 years ago or so. It's nothing Marshall Fields would have added. You can't even see these numbers easily from the display box, so it the numbers aren't for display purposes.

Perhaps some Grand Tour souvenirs as was suggested.

Might do some further research. Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    cxgirl likes this.
  13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Some people amassed very large collections of similar way back, like 18th/19th C. It's possible that yours came from such a collection and the numbers relate to a catalog no longer extant. Doesn't necessarily mean they're worth much, just worth looking into.

14. Lucille.b

Thanks, Moreother. That's a good point and suggestion.

15. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

It looks a little bit like leather wrapped around the edges of those disks ... not that it would necessarily help to ID them ... just an observation (which could be wrong) :)

16. hamptonauction

hamptonauction Well-Known Member

I've known for years that the "Sadigh Gallery" is a scam operation and that they sell fake objects. I've mentioned this several times on this and several other forums. They've been selling fakes for 30 years. I've no idea how they are still aloud to scam people.

17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Hamptonauction,
    You're advice is well taken. I bought an "antique" from them 20+ years ago. I was soooooo excited. I wanted to sue them or shut them down back then. Nothing happened. I finally gave my piece away to a friend. I told her it was fake but her daughter insisted it was real. When her Mother passed she tried to sell it and was very bitter when she found out it was fake.
    greg

komokwa likes this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The first time checking in on this thread. I love these -- I used to collect cameo jewelry and I'm always fascinated by things that look like cameos.

19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've seen these before; they sold sets of them in the 18th and 19th century as Grand Tour souvenirs. The numbers may be from the factory, and I'm thinking copies of old Roman lava cameos. Don't ask me what they're worth, but they're not junk.

Draft saved Draft deleted