Featured Rookwood Bookend Value

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ghopper1924, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Hey all:

I'm curious about how a ding will affect value. These Rookwood bookends are called, I believe, 'The Reader.' One is flawless, the other (on the right) has a tiny repair on a knuckle. The picture is foreshortened; the ding is barely larger than a pinhead.

So my question: How does this affect value? -10%? -20%? More? Less?

Thanks!! P1010185.JPG P1010186.JPG

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  2. KentWhirled

KentWhirled Well-Known Member

Well, any flaw will detract from the value, but as to how much, hard to say. Best thing is to fly up the price that you think it's worth and see if there are any offers. The old adage is, "Start high cuz you can always lower the price."

3. Ghopper1924

Thanks Kent. You're right, of course, but this pair is a keeper; I'm not actually wanting this information for sales purposes. More like for replacement value.

I've seen several pair of these with asking prices varying from $500 to $1K. I have no idea what the replacement value would be, especially factoring in the ding.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

If they were in perfect condition I'd expect about they would be worth around $700-800 as a pair. With art pottery condition is everything to collectors, even the smallest hairline or chip can merit at 50%+ reduction in value. "As-Is" I'd think $300-400 is close to what they would realize since a majority collectors automatically pass up pieces with substantial damage and you are aiming at a smaller market of collectors that would find it acceptable at a good value.

Unfortunately the damaged piece also impacts the good piece since you no don't have a undamaged pair which is what most collectors are looking for in Rookwood bookends.

Humbler & Nolan Auctioneers (out of Cincinnati, OH) has a great website to check prices realized for Rookwood Pottery. They sell the most in the country in their bi-annual auctions.

5. Ghopper1924

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Oh, and a very useful site. The had one set where both were damaged and repaired and they brought $300 + 23% buyers premium. A set in excellent condition brought $800 plus a 23% buyers premium.

So I'd say you'd be close to it at $400 replacement value.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  6. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

They are lovely! Nice find!

Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Thanks Buyingtime!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. FekNeim

FekNeim Member

They are lovely. Rookwood prices are all over the place. I was recently at an all Rookwood auction where bookends like these with no damage sold for $35 in a room full of Rookwood collectors near Cincinnati. Another auction in Indianapolis sold them for $250. Geography is everything. If you can sell them for $800, great! But be prepared to accept significantly less. Online sale might be your best bet.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. FekNeim

FekNeim Member

Oh, and check your insurance policy, anything below the deductible might not need an appraisal, but anything valued above your deductible will need a full-blown appraisal, and they still might not pay off fully if they can find local or online sales at lower prices.

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted