Rooster mark

Discussion in 'Silver' started by terry5732, Nov 6, 2014.

1. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Well worn stamps
    1106 rooster 002.jpg 1106 rooster 001.jpg

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the cock is European,possibly French with a t
    1 or 2 for silver standard, but I don't have my Tardy handy at the moment, it has all the pictorial marks indexed by subject at the end.

3. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

4. 707susang

707susang Active Member

I'm looking, too. Give me awhile to stare at them and poke through Tardy.

5. 707susang

707susang Active Member

Let's all talk this through. It looks like the rooster's bottom half is missing, but I can see a rooster facing left. The only rooster mark with the outline like that is Yugoslavia, but the rooster is going the other way.

What about the first mark?

6. 707susang

707susang Active Member

I'm not having anymore luck, but it is possibly French? The middle being a maker mark - although I don't see it on 925 in the entire alphabet. The first mark could be a city/region/province mark?

7. jackolin

jackolin Well-Known Member

Gorham 1890 date mark - rooster

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, this isn't it, though. First the other marks have nothing to do with Gorham, bearing no resemblance to their Lion/Anchor/G marks. Second, their 1890 rooster is facing right, not left.

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Sue, that first mark is quite a puzzle. I thought it would be easier. Looks like O, upside down urn, R, with either a zig-zag or what might be a crown above.

That "upside down urn" does sort of remind me of a German maker - Wilkens and Sohne? But in conjunction with the O and R? Makes no sense.

10. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I haven't a clue other than probably France. The shape of that cock/rooster punch has me stymied. The first mark isn't any better. It looks like it is divided in half with letters on the top that I can't make out, a dividing line, and 3 symbols on the bottom. With that line through the middle reminds me of Russian assay marks. Those Russian assay marks seem to have a couple of initials on the top and a date on the bottom half. Wonder if that "upside down urn" could be the Russian character for ф with bottom half rubbed off - doubt it. The 3rd mark on our right could be anything from the number "8," "R", "B" to Mickey Mouse.

Gee, the silver marks of late have been a mess. Would be nice if a few clear ones were posted.

--- Susan

11. Ladybranch

Sue and Bake, look at what I just found. It seems to be a French maker's mark with a rooster/cock facing left like this one with "L A" and a star under it. I swear the rooster is the same as this one. Like Sue said in message #6, this i a maker's mark. The bottom 1/2 of the mark is rubbed off. Nowwww let's see what the site says about it. It is on the silver lid of a box in an antique man's toiletry case.

"Antique fully fitted NÉCESSAIRE De Voyage by L Aucoc Aine, Paris "

The maker seems to be L. Aucoc Aine of Paris. Nowwww without the bottom half of this mark, I don't think we can be 100% sure it is the same maker without seeing the letters?? There may have been more than 1 maker using a rooster in their mark??

Scroll down about 1/4th of the way. The picture of the mark is sideways and has has "Aucoc Aine" above it.
    http://www.hygra.com/uk/n11/JB601/

Aucoc history:
    http://www.antiquebox.org/aucoc/

http://www.925-1000.com/Ffrench_makers_A.html

http://www.langantiques.com/university/index.php/French_Jewelry_Maker's_Marks

--- Susan

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  12. terry5732

The rooster cartouche really looks more heart shaped than half diamond.

I think this is likely silverplate and the style would seem to be 1920s or so.

The first is D or O and the second is fairly sure an R. Fine cross hatching above. The middle looks like an upside down candelabra.
    1106 rooster 003.jpg

1106 rooster 004.jpg
    The last looks more like a 6 than a B
    1106 rooster 005.jpg

13. Ladybranch

Terry, to me the shape of the punch with the cock/rooster looks like the top half of a diamond with the points of the diamond rubbed/worn down and the bottom part of the diamond that would have the rooster's legs and letters rubbed off. French maker's mark for sterling are in diamond punches. That's the best guess for me.

I certainly haven't a clue to the first mark. It looks like the bottom part of that mark may be missing also resulting in the bottom of the "R" and that other letter on the left to be badly rubbed off/missing. If the bottom is missing, that R could be a "B"???? I just don't know. I really think Sue is right on that mark probably a city/assay office location.

The mark on our right could easily be a "6." Then again, if these are French marks, the mark on our right could be remnants of a Minerva head, the silver purity hallmark??? It almost has a rounded effect of a helmet on the left side with the profile face of Minerva badly rubbed off on our right??? Gee, Terry, I just don't know. I wish Cheryl, Dragonflywink, would chime in.

I really want to stress that all of the above are guesses on my part and that I would not be surprise if none of them were correct.

--- Susan

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  14. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    old Russian perhaps ?

15. terry5732

The middle symbol does look much like that but there is no R in that alphabet

16. Slw

Slw New Member

17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

18. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

You also may want to start a new thread as this one is almost 7 years old & the OP does not even post here anymore.

Members may not even look here as they might assume that a spammer picked this thread to post nonsense. Consequently, you may not get many answers so you may not find out what you truly have as it sometimes takes multiple members to figure out something & not everybody is here every day. :happy:

So, @Slw welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy::happy:

komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  19. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  20. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Didn't see this thread years ago, but would have said as sweet Susan (the late Ladybranch) and others suggested, French, but certainly silverplate, as the image from new member Slw's makes quite clear. The first mark, maker Durousseau & Raynaud, the symbol between the letters a press - the rooster mark is found on a number of their pieces, perhaps specifying a production line, or maybe a retailer, no idea and not able to take the time now to investigate...

http://www.silvercollection.it/FRENCHSILVERPLATEMARKSCD.html#DURUS
    durousseau-raynaud-mark.JPG

The image posted by Slw:

rooster-mark-etc-french-silverplate.JPG

~Cheryl

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    Bakersgma, judy and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted