rosettes for italian antique mirror

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by tom sanford, Feb 14, 2020.

1. tom sanford

tom sanford New Member

Here are two "type" rosettes for this antique mirror I own. The rosettes on the left are the originals from Italy and the rosettes on the right are replacements Im seeing available.
    Im trying to buy more of the original rosettes from Italy. Im not seeing these type rosettes for sale anywhere. Is there a way to buy more?
    These two different rosettes have threaded shanks from the base that screw into the screw with tapped head. Both rosettes have different size shanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    kyratango likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Tom, and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!! Others may have better suggestions, but sometimes I find that ETSY.COM has offbeat items and tons of them! A Renovators Supply House might also have something, as they usually have ALL sorts of collections!! But wait for others to comment! You might want to add the size of the rosettes and if they are glass or what.....just a suggestion!

Look what I found with a little search!! At Home Depot, no less!! Not sure if exactly what you want, but Google is usually your friend!!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Mirror-Rosette-Bud-Clear-with-3-4-in-Stud-83348/100338669

Next link is in the UK, Amazon, but maybe Amazon US also might have them...I didn't see where you are.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hillman-Group-122200-Mirror-Rosettes/dp/B000HM5SXU

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  3. tom sanford

tom sanford New Member

Thanks for the response.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Mirror-Rosette-Bud-Clear-with-3-4-in-Stud-83348/100338669

these are 1". The rosettes Im lookin for are 1/2". idk what I'm going to do here because the mirror I have there are two "type" rosettes. I may try to get a glass shop to just do something custom since these were rosettes from the early 20th century. Not sure I'll find any 'for sale". I'm told there aren't many of these mirrors left in the states and that there are only a few going around.

The rosettes are great and when the light shines onto this mirror the light bends and refracts through the glass and rosettes. This process casts very beautiful images and colors on the ceiling.

here's an image I found online of a mirror VERY similar to the one I own. You can see the rosettes if you look closely.

Thanks

Attached Files:

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@tom sanford, Don't forget to try checking out renovators supply houses....they get all kinds of 'old stuff'............what you want may not be an easy task.....you may find it easier to change them ALL to a new but similar size rather than trying to match odd sizes......and I do see what you mean with the similar mirror section you posted! Best of luck with it! We're always interested in how things work out!!:):):)

5. tom sanford

tom sanford New Member

appreciate it.
    here's a few images of this mirror I own I took a few years ago. I did CAREFULLY remove the edge pieces to move the mirror. I'd like to closely restore it back to it's original condition over the years which involves getting all the original rosettes and screws that were made in Italy.

I could see how folks could affect the character of an antique by using cheap reproduction replacement pieces for their antique. I guess I'd almost recommend just leaving it the way it is as bad as it may. With these mirrors Your almost better off leaving these rosettes that are missing out rather than using a cheaper replacement.

Attached Files:

• 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      895.9 KB
      Views:
Draft saved Draft deleted