Featured Rough glass bead necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Feb 7, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I think this has been restrung with a new clasp as the rough beads are so different to the little spacer beads so unknown if the glass beads are contemporary with the lattice metal beads.
    Big beads are very roughly made as you can see- do you think there is genuine age to them or just badly made tourist tat?!.
    I’d welcome any of your thoughts as I’ve not seen any like this before.
    Thanks for looking :)

7C4DB6FE-C9EF-4DD6-B486-3F89278831EC.jpeg 1E72A822-E5C6-403D-8F57-FC7BE58B5E42.jpeg 87E58713-7320-499C-85E8-19F61215CC0F.jpeg 7F6CC5CB-0911-4868-A35A-8A6D684E918B.jpeg D06E62B6-4954-4B32-A5F9-132635200639.jpeg

Any Jewelry, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Wow, interesting that these are glass. following..

judy, Christmasjoy and KSW like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

When I picked them up I thought they would be Amber or faux Amber but they are definitely glass.

judy, Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

The brass beads make me think of India. The glass ones possibly are "bottle glass" beads, made from old bottles?

judy, KSW and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They're certainly primitive enough for recycled glass. The construction looks like homebrew; some kid with some pliers and beading wire put that together from the look of it.

judy, kyratango, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The brass beads are Ashanti, from Ghana, made with the lost wax casting technique.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The penny drops. I have an East African necklace here with similar construction. It's still homebrew, but the Home may well have been in West Africa.

8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

That makes sense to me since I've always thought of bottle beads as made in Africa.

judy, kyratango, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Brilliant. Thankyou.

2manybooks, judy and kyratango like this.
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou :)

judy and kyratango like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with 2manybooks, the necklace is from Ghana. The glass beads are handmade from powdered glass, hence the rough, artisan look.
    The necklace is recent, and although I can't see the clasp, I have no reason to believe it is a replacement.
    Homebrew is indeed in Ghana, although the home could actually be a small workshop.;)

12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Ah, learned something new re beads made from powdered glass. Thanks. :)

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Me too. Well worth my £1 outlay for some more knowledge!

Pat P, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  14. Kathy Anderson

Kathy Anderson Well-Known Member

Bingo! Except I believe the beads were made from recycled soda bottles, again, sand cast.

15. Kathy Anderson

Kathy Anderson Well-Known Member

PS: The designs of the brass beads are consistent with old bronze designs. Depending on the metal content, they could be a new version of bronze, but that would take destructive testing. Better to keep as is as these are getting scarce.

16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ooh, is there a profit to be made on my £1?!:hilarious:

17. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and 2manybooks like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You will make some profit, but not much. The brass beads are still cast, so please don't test them, and the powder glass beads are still made from shattered windows, glass bottles, etc. They have personalized molds to make the glass beads, a bit like bucket faux amber.;) Recycling Ghana style.:)

20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I'm not really serious as you know. I'm pinning my hopes on my 15ct mothy bird foot :hilarious:. It's just such fun to find out how and where things are made. I've got a little picture in my mind now of bare feet, molten glass and no A&E within a donkey ride away!.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted