Rowney Georgian Pastels

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by JDE1303, Apr 10, 2017.

1. JDE1303

JDE1303 New Member

I can't upload the photo on this post so I've uploaded it here http://rowneygeorgianpastels.weebly.com/
    These are a tin/box of Rowney Georgian Pastels I've recently purchased. I can't find anything out about the pastels online only facts about the company that made them. Any help would be greatly appreciated (age, value etc)

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

3. JDE1303

JDE1303 New Member

4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums!

Your picture is too big both weight-wise and dimensional-wise. It needed to be cropped and resized before trying to upload into a message. This is a common error done by just about all new forum members. I have taken the liberty of editing, cropping and resizing, your picture for it to appear in this thread. Very few people will take the time to click a link to see a pic. Also most of leery of clicking any new links that they do not know.

Originally your picture was in .PNG (Portable Network Graphic) format, which is a notorious big format. I have changed your pic to a .JPG format.

Your pic was:
    Weight-wise: 1.72 MB = 1,766 KB = 1,808,273 bytes
    Dimensional-wise: 1024px width X 768px height

Now pic is:
    Weight-wise: 25 KB = 25,016 bytes
    Dimensional-wise: 400px width X 282px height

--- Susan

Pastels.jpg

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

1950s, possibly into the early 60s. The address is a part clue: it's using a short postcode of just W1. Long ones didn't come in till the late 60s and even then, weren't always used on packaging and such. Rowney moved out to the country in '69. That colour and style of box is very 50s.

There was a set sold on Ebay in 2013 for thirteen quid. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171176934213

I'd have thought five to ten and would have bought them to give to an artist friend.

6. JDE1303

JDE1303 New Member

Thank you very much! I wasn't sure how to do it :)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  7. JDE1303

JDE1303 New Member

Brilliant, thank you! :)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

You're very welcome.

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

And here I thought I'd be looking at 18th C art.

komokwa likes this.
  10. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

You are certainly welcome!

11. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I agree with OBB, my first thought was 1950s. I'd expect the contents to be intact for it to have any value.

JDE1303 likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Yes, it does need its contents.

Georgian pastels: when these were made, it was the common thinnking that the colours used in Georgian houses were pale and rather demure. It took work by building archaeologists and research by people like English Heritage in the 1990s to establish that this wasn't actually the case. Paint chips have shown that they loved some pretty vicious colours.

And on that, I love the fact that it's now known that Gothic cathedrals were madly polychrome painted. London had a light show a year or two back which involved illuminating buildings as they were meant to be seen. I saw the Guildhall: it was astonishing.

cxgirl and judy like this.
  13. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The Victorian architects knew what they were doing when they used coloured bricks and tiles. These just need washing off to spruce them up.

Farrow and Ball persist with the wahed out look. It's what everyone expects.

14. Ownedbybear

af, I remember my Pa taking me down to St Paul's just after the cathedral was cleaned in the 1960s. The stone was the most wonderful pink, glowing in the sun. Stone and tile, indeed the best.

15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

To see polychrome maintained, take a look at Ste. Chapelle in Paris:

Ste. Chapelle

cxgirl likes this.
  16. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Me too :joyful:

17. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

JDE1303 likes this.
  18. JDE1303

JDE1303 New Member

The contents are there and haven't been used.

Draft saved Draft deleted