Featured Royal Doulton-The local Thrift comes thru,what the heck ?!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bosko69, Nov 24, 2022.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Dear Friends-Despite all my curmudgeonly griping abt Our local Thrifts,I found this today at my neighborhood one.It's abt 6 1/2" tall and seems (w/o an electron microscope) pristine. It's one of the few Doulton figurals I actually know along w/ the Balloon Lady.Does it look legit or a forgery ? Thank You & Thank You again for Your expertise.
    PS-I also saw at same Thrift a CPR Practice Dummy,should've enquired the price,but didn't want to drop the statuette. Gypsy1.jpg Gypsy2.jpg Gypsy3.jpg Gypsy4.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That's absolutely fine and kosher.

charlie cheswick, judy and kyratango like this.
  3. bosko69

thanks bear-that's good,restores a bit of my jaded opinions re thrifts.odd,but in 45 or so odd years of picking i've never seen a resuscitation mannequin at an estate,garage sale or thrift.it wasn't priced,maybe i'll check back friday as everything's closed today here.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  4. Ownedbybear

Nice set of registry marks too. I think some relate to glazes and the body of the figure. The one starting 874 is the figure itself. Leslie Haradine.

kentworld likes this.
  5. bosko69

the registry marks are a fine way of documenting artist,edition.In '54 ( when this piece debuted) Queen Elizabeth was 27 years old.

6. Ownedbybear

Only trouble is, the marks can go on for decades! Those others are late 19th.

7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

The Fortune Teller HN 2159 was made from 1954/55-1967.

komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. bosko69

'Fortune Teller' written by the great Allen Toussaint in 1962,covered by Benny Spellman and The Stones. He 'married the Fortune Teller and now he gets his fortune told for free'.

Draft saved Draft deleted