royal Vienna porcelain plate - dating help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tinytim, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Tinytim

Tinytim Active Member

hi hopefully the last thread for today

This plate seems to have European pictures in the front and some sort of Asian marking behind. Unless that is also some sort of European marking.

Are these pictures hand painted or are they pasted on. I could not make out. They seem really flat for being hand painted. I was hoping that the marking could get us some leads.

Let me know if you need more pictures. 551A95B5-9C9D-4496-80A7-73E91C89098C.jpeg 6C47AB29-D921-4D8D-86C9-4F40E92E3BBC.jpeg 7385C10D-759A-40A6-AD29-61C4BFAD726A.jpeg C2FB2EAC-4C57-40D4-963B-234BF35ABB76.jpeg

2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I know the beehive mark is for Royal Vienna porcelain ...but if it's an authentic mark or not - I don't know - I know there is fake/reproduced/copied Royal Vienna. Looks nice though.

Lucille.b, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Tinytim

Tinytim Active Member

Should I change the title ? To make it more accurate

judy likes this.
  4. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Couldn't hurt - might draw more eyes of people in the know.

judy likes this.
  5. Tinytim

Tinytim Active Member

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Do you have a good magnifying glass?
    Look closely at the figures.
    If it is transferred, you will see dots. If it is hand painted you will see brush strokes.
    It can also be a combination of both, where the outlines are transferred on and then hand colored.

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

With the mark on a gold patch like that, I'm guessing it's a decorator mark. Some professional decorating company bought the blank plate and added the picture to it. The gold patch may cover the mark of the company that made the blank, but it's not important. The illustration is most likely a fired-on decal.

popsycat and anundverkaufen like this.
  8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

If you google Royal Vienna and check the images you'll see that true Royal Vienna plates are handpainted from rim to rim with no white areas. I believe this is a cheap imitation.
    Don

anundverkaufen and aaroncab like this.
  9. Tinytim

Tinytim Active Member

Hi cc49. I checked under a magnifying glass could not make out. May be I don’t know what I am supposed to be looking at.
    Have attached a picture where turned on an angle you can see some parts. Could it be that the decal/picture has got spoilt.
    44F44ADA-805B-45EA-99C8-9C415E4A50F5.jpeg

More other stuff I think you may be right and this maybe a decal.

when you say no white areas, you mean even on the back ? I could not see white patches in the front.

10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Sorry, on my screen those green areas looked white. Same principle applies, though. Still too much dead space.
    Don

Houseful likes this.
  11. Janecoelho

Janecoelho New Member

I have the same problem. Do u find? I started scraping, because someone said it was to hide another name, and I find vienna written in green. yes vienna

Draft saved Draft deleted