Ruby Stained Kerchief Bowl?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by spirit-of-shiloh, May 31, 2014.

1. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I researched this thingy a couple years ago and found a similar shaped bowl and it was called a Kerchief holder. I never found that term again? Is this just a "what not" bowl? Shallow vase? It looks stained as parts of the ruby color is worn in spots. It has a weird bottom,ground smooth but instead of a complete circle half is terminated? Weighs 14 oz and measures 4 3/4" wide X 3 5/8" tall X 2" wide tt the ball base.If you look down inside the bottom of the bowl ,its clear with a rounded nipple inside. T DSCN1914.JPG hank you for any info on age,etc. The ball shaped bottom base has three mold lines.

Attached Files:

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Linda,
    Glad to see your here. I have never heard of your bowl called a kerchief holder. The only thing close is what is called a handerchief vase. It is a vase that has an uneven top rim. It looks like a hankie that is buched together to use as a vase. My description is horrible i better show and example. I agree that it is stained red. It was a lot cheaper than using red glass. I am trying to remember where I saw a clear one like yours.
    greg

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Here is an example.
    greg XXX_photo7.jpg

4. spirit-of-shiloh

Hi Greg, thank you for the reply. I see the difference now. My thingy is too small and wide to be a vase? I guess it could be though? I guess I will just call it a "what not" holder when I decide to list it. Thanks again. :)

5. Bridgets628

Bridgets628 Member

Toothpick holder? Did you mean there is T marking on the inside bottom? If so, is it just a T all by itself, any other characters around it?

6. spirit-of-shiloh

Hi Bridget,the T is part of my posted T-hank you that got seperated somehow :) One of those items I have had forever and always curious about.

Bridgets628 likes this.
  7. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

Hi Shiloh, didnt officially say hello when I signed in, so good to see familiar peeps!

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  8. spirit-of-shiloh

Hello myshrona, yes its WONDERFUL to see so many familiar faces :) After the "awe and happiness" here wears off we can all get down to business and share antiques,request input,etc.:)

Its like starting a new paragraph in the life of antiques again ;)

mymysharona43 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted