Rug Origins?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Janet Stallone, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Janet Stallone

Janet Stallone Red Heeler

I've had this little 2 x 4 rug for about 50 years and it's been in use the whole time and really looks pretty much like it always did. It was given to me in the 60's by my great aunt who traveled all over the world and brought back souvenirs. I don't remember her ever mentioning where it came from. I just happened on this site and thought I might be able to find out more about it. It's not what I would call beautiful, darker than it appears in the photos, but when I started taking pictures of it in the light I noticed how pretty the detail is, and on reading the blog, I decided that I probably should do a little repairing on the corners as I've gotten rather attached to it by now. Anyway, can anyone tell me more about this little rug?

2. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I don't see any photographs.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

What little rug ?

4. Janet Stallone

Whole.JPG Back.JPG Bird.JPG Corner.JPG DetailSide.JPG Sorry, I got interrupted and pressed send. I posted thumbnails, don't know if they'll be able to be enlarged?

5. komokwa

2 x 4 ...centimeters ..inches....feet....meters...yards.....kilometers...miles.....fathoms.....????????????

Fid likes this.
  6. komokwa

Chinese.....has a silk look to it..

Bakersgma likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I agree with Komo on Chinese. This sort of design was very popular in the middle of the century years. You aunt may not have bought it in mainland China itself, but perhaps HongKong.

The fineness of the knotting does suggest silk.

8. Janet Stallone

Yes, when I got up close to it to take the pictures I noticed that the fibers were shiny and very fine. I didn't know they made rugs out of silk? Thank you for the informantion. All these years I never really got down close to it to look at it.

judy likes this.
  9. Janet Stallone

Yes, gma I know information came out wrong. I'm doing that more and more lately.

10. komokwa

IMG_0238.jpeg

both mine
    both silk
    ya put em on the side of the bed so in the morning you plant your feet on all that soft luxurious smooth rich silky tenderness......

Draft saved Draft deleted