Russel Wright for Bauer: Bowl w/unusual detail, is it original?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lva483, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Lva483

Lva483 Active Member

Hi There,
    I'm looking for information on this Russel Wright bowl. I know the basic information regarding this piece, but I can't find any examples w/the addition of the enameled copper piece.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing what other's have to say about this.

*Update Below*
    Bowl measures 6½” x 4¾” and stands 2⅝” and the metal piece 1⅜” x ⅞”.

As mentioned, I just purchased this today and haven't totally cleaned the bottom off yet. It still has the wax pencil price written on it, I'm going to look around on here for cleaning tips. I'm sorry about the writing but you can still clearly see Russel Wright's signature and Bauer underneath it. These marks look the same as all the other examples I've seen online. The glaze appears correct with the outer being the grayish-blue frothy color and interior is dark with a gunmetal or oily finish.

I just want to say I was originally convinced the addition was to cover some type of flaw, but decided to ask about it because of the following reasons:
    - The added piece in question does appear "age" appropriate.
    - It's located directly even in the center. The placement seems very thought out and intentional (although chips and cracks can happen anywhere).
    - I purchased this along with 8 other pieces of pottery, which are exquisite to say the least. They are mostly Mid Century and Studio Pottery by very well known British, American, and Japanese artists including Byron Temple, Murray Fieldhouse and JT Abernathy.

I get the impression these pieces came from a longtime collector or something of that nature, and donated by someone who wasn't aware of what they are. This isn't the first time I have found pieces like this at a thrift store, but never before in this quantity and quality.

Considering all the above made me think there was a slim possibility the RW Bauer piece w/the addition could be an original unique example, but who knows.

Again, thank you and here are the photos.
    BauerMd1.jpg BauerMd2.jpg BauerMd3.JPG BauerMd4.JPG BauerMd5.jpg BauerMd8.jpg BauerMd7.jpg BauerMd.jpg BauerMd9.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    scoutshouse likes this.
  2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Welcome to our forum!! :happy::happy:

We are going to need a photo of the bottom & a close up of the mark if it is not real clear in that photo.

judy, i need help and scoutshouse like this.
  3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Not finding anything with that fused glass mark... Show us your marks :)

judy and i need help like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME @Lva483 to Antiquers!!! Your images are good, sharp and good sized!! Seeing the bottom can sometimes give additional clues!! Can you give approximate dimensions?? The coloring and reflection of that copper piece in your top image makes it look like someone put a liver in it!!!! Sorry.....that's what my "mind's eye" is seeing!!! Unless it's very small....then it could be a kidney bean!!:happy::hilarious::smuggrin:

silverthwait and i need help like this.
  5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Lva!

6. scoutshouse

I'm thinking the copper piece is just a arty decoration the owner made lots of or had lying about...

If original - - - SLEEPER!

7. Lva483

Lva483 Active Member

Hmm.. Not sure how to delete a comment yet.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Bakersgma likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that works....:hilarious:

9. scoutshouse

I feel you, @Lva483

Show us your other stuff ☺

Draft saved Draft deleted