Russian Art?

Discussion in 'Art' started by grantbarley, May 26, 2021.

1. grantbarley

grantbarley New Member

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

869BAAEE-2959-4B02-A5FA-0483695D1C5E.jpeg 5ED27F3D-668B-409D-A179-BA6720CA9483.jpeg Welcome to the Forum, Grant!

I’ve added your photos from the link. Please use the instructions from AnyJewelry for uploading in the Future.

grantbarley and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. i need help

Can you please include a photo of the back of the work?

5. Any Jewelry

The balcony looks like a theatre balcony, a box.

grantbarley and i need help like this.
  6. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Sig looks like "Sidney Sprat" from here...

grantbarley and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

From here too.:playful:

BaseballGames likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Totally agree with 'Sidney', not so sure about the Sprat....just doesn't look right for a 'p'.....but don't know what it could be either!!!

5ED27F3D-668B-409D--EDIT.jpg

9. Van_Poperin

Van_Poperin Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the music hall work of Sickert :)
    833B976D-D6C2-44FC-868C-47CE85101507.jpeg

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Where did you obtain it? What country? The signature is not in the Russian Cyrillic alphabet. They don't have a letter that looks like "S" -- What makes you think it is Russian?

11. grantbarley

grantbarley New Member

Wow! Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and amazing input. I have included photos of the back (hopefully I did it right). It does look like Sidney I absolutely agree! I tried holding a black light to the last name but could not gather anymore information.

It certainly does look like Sickert's work. Was that around 1910? Is there anything in this piece that lends itself to dating?

It was found at an estate sale in a very nice house/area in Potomac Maryland, USA. Figtree3, it looks like I assumed incorrectly.

Attached Files:

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. grantbarley

grantbarley New Member

IMG_4580 (Custom) (1).jpg IMG_4581 (Custom).jpg IMG_4582 (Custom).jpg

13. i need help

14. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

I think a couple of earlier photos have been edited out of this thread...
    Now, yes, agree with Van Pop, a resemblance to that Sickert work -- but can't wrestle "Sickert" out of any version of the sig...
    Aquitaine's reverse-colour pic of the sig makes "Sprat" unlikely as well -- maybe "Sarat" or "Samot" or something?
    Granted, it's hard to write on canvas with a pen or pencil, but the pained scrawl there, with its mix of upper- and lower-case block and cursive, looks like the work of a child's or illiterate's hand. I'd go with "Samat" or "Samot" again as a guess, and consider the "W" not a part of the sig but an unrelated character or scribble.

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. grantbarley

grantbarley New Member

There was a Sydney Starr who painted with Walter Sickert after leaving the Royal Society of British artist but even that looks a stretch on the signatures.

Draft saved Draft deleted